1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ABM500 vs. Thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Has anyone compared these directly. I love my ashdown but am always trying to find something that sounds like it only brighter. The thunderfunk amps look like they may be the ticket. Remember, ashdown low-mid punch but clearer on the top end without cranking the treble. I use a bergantino NV610 cab by the way. Thanks guys.

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I tried the new TF750 at NAMM and it was the best thing that I heard all day - I think it will give you what you want. The Ashdown people were snotty & rude when I went to their booth & wouldn't let me try their new heads so I can't compare the two.

3. Cranking up the gain and turning up the valve drive on the Ashdown is going to give you an aggressive tube overdrive sound the TF can't match, if that is what you are looking for. It also does a good clean, but very warm solid state sound as well. My ABM500 is one of the best amps I have ever owned. The TF is going to have more clarity and punch. All depends on what you are looking for.

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I have owned my ashdown for longer than any other amp and have played many gigs with it. Im just always looking for the next best thing. You know how it is! :)

5. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    I too am curious about how both compare.