about a book I bought

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Zanshin, May 2, 2001.

1. Zanshin

May 1, 2000
    I bought "Essential Music Theory For Electric Bass" by Robby Garner and the book covers major scales, minor scales, intervals, triads, seventh chords, and chords of the major and minor scales.

Now, I've only looked through it briefly, but it seems there is not application to building basslines. THe book created for self-teaching and is easy to understand, it just seems like there should be more. Anyways, I just wanted your thoughts on this. Maybe I need to carefully go through the book and then go to a teacher if i still have questions?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have, for a long time, respected the work that Robby Garner has done. I am, unfortunately, not familiar with this particular book.

Many books out there do not make the link between the theory and application. Also, often time, with many books, the exercises are not in the least bit musical. It is the real challange for us, as writers to do both of the aforementioned things.

Your idea of going through the book more carefully and possibly using a teacher to fill in the details is probably the best idea