About a Boston Upright...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bass(V)atriX, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Bass(V)atriX

Jan 21, 2005
    I registered specifically to ask this question, but this forum looks cool so I think im gonna stick around. We can play flame the n00b later, if you don't mind :D

I just got a Boston Double Bass and its got a great sound and really solid construction, but i want to know more about it. When I search, all I get is bass players who live in Boston or basses made in Boston. But nothing on the Boston brand itself.

Anyone know anything about these basses?
  2. Post some pictures son, and description of the instrument, how you came across it, any labels viewable in the F holes. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people on this board who may have the answers you seek. If nothing else we like to look at it. That may spark further discussion. ;)
  3. Bass(V)atriX

Jan 21, 2005
    Well I havent really taken pictures of it yet. I gotta take it to my electric luthier who also happens to work EUB's and UB's. The bass came with the bridge unattached for shipping reasons. Once i have it set up wich should be anytime next week, I'll post pictures. Ive been a student of upright for a few years, but never had enough money to buy one. It's my first upright so I'm proud of it. Im sure it has a goodsound cuz I tested the store model. Ive examend the neck and finger board thoroughly and fine everything to be nice ans straight. and my luthier said he'd fix any irregularities he found.

In any case, the bass has been purchased and id like to know more about it. It appears to be a hybrid cuz it sounds different when i knock on the sides and when i knock on the front and back of it.

As far as labels in the F holes, well thats how i know its a Boston Bass.
    I got it on sale a a local music store.

But im gonna post the pics a.s.a.p.

4. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That doesn't mean anything. Usually tops are made of spruce and backs are made of maple. Not to mention the top and back are usually different thicknesses.
  5. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    There are ways to tell if the top is wood or ply, though some makers are good at hiding it. Look at the edge; does it have a grain pattern, or does it appear to have layers? The edges of the f-holes can show this too, unless they've been painted black (which is sometimes a giveaway that its a ply).

These days, brand names don't mean a whole lot, especially in lower-priced instruments. There might be one factory in China churning out instruments that end up with 10 different labels depending on who's buying them. Often, a large chain store (Sam Ash, for ex.) with have its own brand name, usu. bought from one (or more) of these factories.

That's not to say that yours is not a well-crafted bass, though.
  6. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
  7. Bass(V)atriX

Jan 21, 2005
    No need to tread carefully with your words. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that my bass isn't really top of the line. But it's my first. After reading what someone said about the f-holes, I think they are as a matter of fact, painted black. so I guess I ended up with a plywood bass. I have heard of a member of the Puerto Rico(where I'm from) Symphony Orchestra who uses a chinese plywood bass. My teacher told me the bass sounded to good to be plywood, but not as good as carved. Nonetheless, the quality of sound was good enough. Turns out he replaced the fngerboard with a different wood(I'd be tempted to say ebony, but it seems to me that wouldnt be very practical, it wouald be better to just get a better sounding bass.) But still, I'm gonna play with it and see how it turns out for what I need.

Thanks for the info, guys.
  8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Most Basses have their FF hole inner edges painted black as well as the inside of the peg box.. This includes Strad Violins and in no way means it's a Plywood in hiding!!!!!