Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? about applying a fresh coat of Tung Oil on my bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jplb70, Mar 26, 2002.

1. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    Hi my bass is Koa and has a Tung Oil finish. Bought it new from Carvin in 96. The finnish is starting to show wear around the pickup area and it just don't feel as nice as it used to. If I buy a Bottle of pure Tung Oil and apply a coat will this help? And if so what's the best way to go about this?
    Thanx in advance JP

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Two things:

First, you probably don't want pure tung oil. It dries very slowly. Most manufacturers use a tung oil/varnish blend. I use Formsby's low gloss.

Second, You might want to clean the area with mineral spirits and/or fine steel wool before applying the oil. Then, apply some oil to a rag, and rub into the worn away spot. Very simple. Do a couple of applications, allowing the oil a day to dry in between applications.

3. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    Thank you sir. I'll give it a try found that very stuff on the web and ordered some. Thanx again.
    Oh by the way you've got some tasty looking basses comin out of your shop! PEACE

4. I love tung oil finishes their very easy to work with if you are patient between coats.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just applied some Formsby's high gloss to the neck of my Pedulla T-bolt fretless. Dang! It turned out bitchen. But I think it originally had low-gloss on it, but I like the look, feel and sound better now. I sure was nervous about it when I did it, but it just turned out cherry.