Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? about Ashbory bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by graniteboy, Dec 7, 2000.

1. graniteboy

graniteboy

Aug 15, 2000
    I don't know if any of you own or have played a Guild (or is it DeArmond?) Ashbory bass, but if you do/have, I'm wondering if it is possible to do slapping and popping on one, given the fact of its rubber/silicon strings. I'm trying to see how versatile the Ashbory is before possibly shelling out about $500 for one. I guess I'd like to know if it is safe to have as your main bass. Unfortunately, I may soon have to sell my Fender Jazz <:-( due to my financial situation, and the Ashbory *seems* like a good value for the money. Info would be greatly appreciated.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You can buy a brand new DeArmond Ashbory for $300 just about anywhere. If you were looking at a used Guild you're probably paying more for the name. I know a guy that has both and he prefers the DeArmond. I can't imagine it as a good slapper, but I never tried it on the one I played. I also can't imagine it as an only bass. If you want fretless look at a low end Yamaha or MIM Fender in the same $300 price range, and of course, play before you buy. :D

3. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Hey graniteboy... Does that make you a New Hampshire resident? (The granite state.)
    Anyway, I just picked up a DeArmond Ashbory at the Music Mall in Manchester about two weeks ago.
    I'd definitely say no to slapping and popping on it. The strings are silicon, and with no frets to ring off of, it just kind of doesn't get it done.
    However, it does everything else you'd want a fretless to do. It has a great big sound that can range from growly to an almost upright sound.
    They're really a lot of fun to play, and I got mine new for $279. Don't pay $500 for one, it's not necessary.
    It has a few quirks that are somewhat unique. Since the strings are silicon, it's best to put a little talc powder on your fingers before you play it. Also, you've got to really work the strings when they're new to get them to stay in tune. It takes a little while to work them in.
    I went to go pick it up and play it last night, and noticed I was short one string. It must've busted sometime during the night. I'm not sure how common it is to be breaking strings on it, but like I said, I've only had it for two weeks.
    I wouldn't have it as my main bass, but it certainly is great to have around as a change of pace.

4. slap and pop i would have to say no, you can yank on the strings but i don't think i would call it popping, and if it was my main bass i think i would go nuts, i love mine but i have a hard time keeping it in tune and i have broken the G string twice, i wouldn't call it a nolvety but i also wouldn't call it a good choice for a main bass, oh yea $500 is too much

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    No way can you slap and pop on this thing. Since the strings are silicone rubber there's no metallic "kank" to the sound.

Two things about breaking strings. First, the G string breaks whare it first comes out of the slot in the tuning peg barrel. I found that sliding a postage-stamp-sized square of thin foam (like is used in packaging china dishes) between the string and the post -- folding it into the slot -- kind of cushions that first corner. Looks slightly odd but it seems to work.

Second, you get a couple of breaks before a string is completely too short. If you just tie a knot in the broken end, chances are good that you can still stretch it enough to reach the peg and still be below pitch. I discovered that the day I got it.

And, no, I wouldn't want this to be my only bass. Cute as a novelty a few tunes per evening but not all night.