Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? About blown speaker and how I should fix it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tualatin, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I think I blew a speaker or a crossover or something. Its in a Mesa 6x10 4ohm being powered by a 400+ along side a Mesa 18. The 6x10 had been crackling slightly last week and I started trying different chords and amp-outputs as well as the 18 by itself, but it was surely only coming from the 6x10 cab.
    Today......loud scary bad noises, crackles, pops, followed by fear for my health.
    I bought it from GC in Febuary and my Question is do I take it to them and get another one or do I call Mesa and get it warrantied and is a blown speaker even covered under warranty?

Any insight will award you good karma

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    If I were you, or if you were me, I'd remove the grill. Then I'd carefully and gingerly place three fingers on each side of the speaker cone on the side-slant part (NOT the center part) so your using both hands to do this: gently push the cone IN a little and let it pop back out, and listen for rubbing or scraping. If the speaker is blown (voice coil over heated) it will be pretty obvious. check all speakers in this fashion. By careful not to push in a way where the force of your fingers are concentrated in one small area. Spread your fingers so the force is evenly distributed. Your recreating/or simulating cone movement similiar to what it does when your playing your bass. Perhaps Unplug the cabinet, lie it on its back to do this. Its easier to address multiple speakers that way.

Make sure when the grill is off you don't have screwdrivers or objects or dogs and cats flying around that could puncture the speaker cones accidentally.

If doing this action voids your warranty, don't attempt it. I'm only suggesting it so you can diagnose the problem if you feel up to it and its not a warranty issue.

If you've never taken speaker cabs apart or removed a grill before or handled screw drivers or if your a klutz, don't even try this.

Sometimes in looking for trouble, I'll plug in my bass but roll off all the treble and high mids, so nothing but low mud is coming out. I listen to see if that crackling goes away. And do the reverse, dial out ALL sound on the EQ except the treble. Listen to the tweeter this way. Then Try playing at higher and much lower volumes. Is the sound the same?

All these shananagins coud help you diagnose the problem but in the end, you'll probably take it to GC or ship it to Mesa in the end. (I'd personally isolate which driver is blown, remove it, verify its dead by using an ohm meter/continuity tester, and ship just the speaker to Mesa.) I'm sure if you had to pay shipping on that 6-10 pig it wouldnt be cheap. Good luck!

3. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thank you and Karma Granted.