about body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warnan, Oct 13, 2004.

1. warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Is 1 pc body better than muti pc body?
    i order a jbass body and the retailer tells me that 3 pc body is better than 2 or 1 pc body.

what i bought is ash body
  2. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I think he saw you coming. I beleive that generally, the less pieces of wood you use for the body the more costly it is. Does this mean it sounds better. I wouldn't say so, just different. I guess it is kind of an opinionated question. But let me ask you this: how many bodies have you seen that are made out of one peice of wood. That's because (as I was told) its easier and cheeper for companies to produce guitars this way.
  3. It's tough to come across a piece of wood of most species popular with luthiers in a blank width of 14"-16". Remember, that blank can't be cut from the center of the tree - it has to come from a location parallel to the heart but offset. That means that the tree would be much larger than the 16" in diameter. If the blank were quartersawn, it would have to come from a tree with a diameter of over 32"!! Even then, the mill would have to intend to make a board that wide because the cuts from a log are planned to create the best yield. You would probably have the best chance to find a nice single piece blank from a custom builder that has his stuff milled to order or from a woodhouse like Gallery Hardwoods.
  4. The Korina body on my latest bass is a one piece. It was about $20 - 30 more than a two piece would have cost me. If it is a painted body I would say it doesn't matter but a three piece with a natural finish could look a bit lame.

A two piece on the other hand can look really good with a natural finish. If joined right down the centerline of the bass it looks like the grain is converging on the center. Most basses seem to be made from two pieces.

I ordered a Lakland skyline a while back that ended up have a three piece body and I sent it back because it didn't look right.

Soundwise I doubt it makes a difference.
  5. warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    retailer told me the body wood is ash, but the grain is not the usual ash grain as i know.

then i ask the retailer again he told me this because the wood was cut Vertically not Horizontally.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Here's my 1 piece quilt Maple Zon. It looks & sounds phenomenal...
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    We have Walnut in 2" thickness+ that is 16-24" all day long. We buy entire 'butt' logs and have them sawn to our specs. Would we make 1-pc walnut bodies being that we have tons of wood to do the job?..
    NO!.. Wood has the tendency to 'cup' across it's width. Wood will cup away from the heart of the tree after cutting and even more after drying. The wider the individual piece and the thinner it is, the more cupping you will see generally. Wide wood unrelatedly also costs more as well due to it's rareness and Value in other industries such as 'Fine Furniture'.

For Guitar/Bass bodies, it is best we keep them flat for life after leveling. It is also more cost effective to buy narrow lumber. Low cost imports and Production Guitars/Basses often have several pieces glued together and un-matched more often than not. Better quality Bodies are 2 or 3 matched pieces of width and often with an opposing center on the 3-pc. This makes good sence and economics. It's just turns out that the less expensive widths makes more stable bodies.

Now, solid vs. laminated is another story as well.. Same basic rules apply though. Tone is also affected but species used is can vary the tone as much or more than the number of laminates.
  8. warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    i was told that Squier mic was made of c level basswood
    how can they judge the wood as A or B or C level?