Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About bying a bass (continued)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheInsane, Jul 5, 2002.

1. As some might remember I posted here some week ago about "metal basses". I was (and still is) in search of a new bass. Well I have looked around a little bit. I went to a store and was recomended a 5-string Ibanez. I think it might be this one but I´m not sure:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/bass/ergodyne/pages/edb605.html

I think is has a slightly different form and it is all black. So what do you think? I haven´t played it yet but I will in some days to see what I think of it. Are there any major negatives with this bass (or positives) etc? It was recomended to me by Gustaf (bassist from Meshuggah) who works in that store. I think he knows his stuff well but I also wanted you to say your opinion.

Originally I had a 4-string in mind but as Gustaf said "If you think you might need those low tones just get a 5-stringed axe. I mean you have a 4-stringer already." And it rang very true to me. So what do you think? Is this a good bass?

I have only played it "acoustic" and for about five minutes (I was in a rush). I will play it for a longer time to decide but I want you oppinions to (otherwise I would not post this, duh). :)

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    maybe i am on the wrong side but i played that bass and HATED. i can't stand the luthite body. to me that's a strange name for cheap plastic. i want a bass that is made of wood. why don't you consider this:

www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_sweden.html

much better bass. the guy in meshuggah could tell you the same....

3. I appreciate your oppinion but the link you gave me only lead to the main page. Can you give me the url again?

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Your decision wouldn't be a bad one more or less. But don't limit yourself to looking at just one bass. Try as many different basses in your price range as possible. We could help you much more if you had more than one bass in mind. What kind of music do you play?(I'm guessing metal) How are you tuned? I'm sure you're excited and frustrated at the same time of getting a new bass,but patience will pay off. Being impulsive could get you something you may not end up liking. Try some different basses out,and let us know what you want to do. -Luke

5. Mindwolf

Mindwolf

Jan 12, 2001
  6. "We could help you much more if you had more than one bass in mind."

Yeah I know... I just haven´t had the time. But I will of course try more than one (if it doesn´t feel "sooo" right).

"What kind of music do you play?(I'm guessing metal)"

Good guess :)

"How are you tuned?"

Well in my old band (RIP) I played with normal tuning but now when I mostly play covers (until my new band starts to reherse) I play along to the cd which means I use the tuning they use on the cd. Right now I´m playing some Blind Guardian and Iced Earth so the tuning is Eb, Ab, Db, Gb. But as I said it shifts very much.

"I'm sure you're excited and frustrated at the same time of getting a new bass,but patience will pay off."

Exactly the feeling I have! I really want this new bass but I am worried that I will make a bad descision and regret it afterwards :rolleyes:

You are probably right, patience will pay off.

And Mindwolf; that was a pretty cool bass. I´ll see if some store has it so I can try it at least once :)

7. I agree. I love mine. It hasn't let me down. I'm suprised at how many tones you can get out of that preamp!

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Shecter makes a pretty descent 4 and 5 string for under $800.00

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my intention was to post the url of the ibanez BTB...

10. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    warwick! get a corvet with all stock options warwick has the woody tone and the heavy low end you'd need in metal. i highly recoment a thumb 5 string there b is the tighest and punchyest i have every seen.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hey, bassist286, consider the price range... Me, too, I would like a nice Corvette Proline 6-stringer, but I think I will have to stick with a cheaper bass. What I would recommend, my Insane friend, is like the SR705 - it's got a nice mahogany body (I've seen one in the store) but I've not yet had the chance to play with it.. So I think it would be worth to try that one out, too. And if you like it, please tell me;)

12. Hey,

In your price range you HAVE to try a BTB. (Even more so if you like Ibanez).

The neck IS wide though but the tone is very good. The preamp is way better than any other in its price range (and its 18v for increase headroom). It has a 35" scale so the string are a bit tighter but I would say punchier as well. It's made of basswood with quilted-maple top.

Just put DR Hi-Beam on mine and that lessen the tension on string. (The original strings GHS were muddy and lacked definition).

It's quite versatile sound wise for its price.

13. Yeah. I have looked at a warwick too. (used one). From the pics on the warwick page I would say it is this one (not sure though, I´m not to good at different kinds of basses etc):

http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/_corvette_standard_s5.html

The only difference I can remember is that the one I looked at was all black. Haven´t played it though.

And mutant friend I will tell you what I think of the ibanez SR705 if I ever play it. Thanks for all oppinions people. As you see I have left the idea of a different shaped bass now. First and foremost I will test-play some ibanez and warwick basses (the most recomended by different sources) and then I will decide. I think it will be a 5-string though.

14. im sorry but i have found that for metal almost any bass will do... i think thats why so many metal bassists go for ibanez :p ...
    oops i forgot about what happened last time i posted negatively about ibanez... anyway....

actually since you are planning on getting a 5 string then you should get something of a bit higher quality as the b string with cheaper end basses is usually really flimsy and weak sounding... id probably go with the yamaha above or maybe the warwick... but get a thumb 5 not the corvette...

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ditto! At the studio where i rehearse they were selling one of those pretty dirt cheap and I took it for a run with my band. HATED wouldn't be a strong enough word for how I felt about it. I AB'dwith my MM and sounded like a toy in comparison. The difference in output was unbelievable too - at full it's volume was about the same as my MM at less than halfway. Sorry if this upsets any owners of that bass, but this was my experience.....

Also - if you wind up going with a Warwick I'd suggest spending a lot of time listening and comparing. I have an active Corvette (bubinga body) and I bought it because it was WAY deeper sounding than the thumb. I also never use it cuz it weighs a ton but when I bought it the difference in sound was undeniable. I personally think the thumb is better for funkier stuff - or music that's not so heavy, but once again - this is just my experience.

As you can see by the difference of opinions it's really got to be up to you. I'd say play everything often and then see which bass keeps calling you back.