about changing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Berme, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Berme

May 11, 2001
    when changing strings, do you remove all of them and then put the new strings on, or do you remove (individually) one string and put the new one and so on? I´ve read very different things about it. I think the lack of tension when you remove all the strings is compensated by the trussrod, so the neck is not affected, but, anyway tell me what you think.
  2. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i take them all off so i can clean my bass really well. then i put the new ones on. it may not be the "proper" way, but i've never had a problem with the neck...
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I follow a method from Bass Player Magazine, I change one string, put on the new one, then remove other, put the new one and so on....
    They said this is just one method, and there are other ways to do it that work fine. So I think it´s up to you...:cool:
  4. ive seen some instructional videos that say to change them one at a time so as to keep tension on the neck. i dont suppose removing all of them would cause the neck to suddenly get screwed up, but i think it might be safest.
  5. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I remove all of the strings, clean the board if needed and then replace. You may have some middle fret buzz (if you like your neck more on the straight side) but this will cure itself once the neck readjusts. If your worried that your neck will be damaged by this then I would worry that your bass was not properly built to start with.
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I always go one at a time from the treble side down.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This is why I've been changing one at a time for years... no waiting for a neck to readjust. I clean my fretboard after removing each string. I even do this on my Zon.