about compressor, which is better?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by artitrol, Feb 21, 2006.

1. artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    hey, i will get a compressor pedal. thers are two pedals now. one is diamond compressor and the other is moollon compressor.
    which is better for bass?
    i can't have a taste of diamond because thers is no dealer in our country, so only i can let a friend whom is in canada buy it for me...
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi, in the "compressor reviews" thread at the top of the effects forum page there is a link to a review of the Diamond compressor. Unfortunately no review of the Moollon. There is one person on this list who has the Diamond comp, and he always posts to say "get the special bass modification when you buy the Diamond".

I love the looks of the Moollon fx, but I don't personally know anybody who has used them.
  3. artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    thanx very much~

i like the looks of moollon too but i don't think it can be better than diamond. i have tasted the diamond memory lane, it's perfect pedal.
    it looks like the diamond compressor is a great pedal for bass , isn't it?
  4. I think that may be me that Bongomania is referring too and it goes something like this:

Contact Michael at Diamond and ask for the Bass Mod.
    This incoporates two changes into the standard pedal. One extends the bottom end frequency range, how much lower I don't know Michael never mentioned the specific frequency range enhancement point. Second the axis of the EQ tilt control is moved down to a lower frequency point.

The features that I like about the Diamond compressor is that you can run at 18 volts DC power and increase the headroom, the addition of the EQ tilt is very functional and makes the required adjustments for for switching between fingerstyle and pick playing very easy. Sometimes I get lazy and instead of bending over just tromp on the Jersey Girl Hustlemaker for additional EQ tinkering/boost.

Is it pristine quiet and does it have absolutely no effect on your tone? No, nothing really is, except maybe a Crane Song Trakker, but everytime I turn the pedal off everybody in the band looks around wondering what happend to the sound.
    The difference is just a little bit lusher and fuller tone, more "There" in that it makes the bass presence in the mix stronger.

The Moolon looks cool, all their engraved cases are cool, and they are a serious chunk of change, just wish I was near to somone that carried them so I could give then a spin too.

IIRC it is a clone of a popular older style like the Ross/MXR compressors.