Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About e-shops like worldmusicsupply

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Saorex, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    As anyone ever a bass directly on shop from the Web? I was looking at prices and fell on worldmusicsupply.com

How come their prices can be so low? They sell crappy stuff? They offer no adjusment and/or garantee?

I think a difference of 180 USD on a 750 USD bass is a huge discount... They sell our credit card numbers or what? ;)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    basically from what I have heard is they buy low and sell low and make smaller gross profit than music stores but in turn they aren't paying salemen to run a store.

3. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Frankly, your post is outrageous. I don't know anything about them other than what's on their website, but you're way out of line for even suggesting that they might be doing something illegal or unethical, unless you have evidence.

Maybe if you got your head unstuck from its present location, you could read the privacy policy on their site. It's very clear. Or their policy about selling only 100% new with full factory warranty. That's very clear too. What don't you understand about it?

FWIW, their prices on Gibsons are much higher than my longtime Gibson dealer.

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Calm down DW. I think he's just pointing out that he's surprised that online prices seem to be lower than prices at physical stores (at least where he lives). Note the smillee.

5. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks Justin! You know how to read a message :)

Ok. So they buy low and don't pay for a store and employees. I see. Thanks guys!

6. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, I saw the smilie. :rolleyes: I wasn't amused. It doesn't excuse borderline libel. That's how internet rumors get started and companies' reputations get trashed.

Most manufacturers have minimum advertised prices. This site is no different from the rest, they have to follow the manufacturers' rules except for closeouts and special sales. Their prices are nothing special.

In most big cities you can find a local bricks-and-mortar store, chain or locally owned, that will meet or beat online prices.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    dude chill, Saorex made a joke that you obviously did not get. He was simply kidding.

8. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey come on! Rumours wouldn't start that way if people didn't take eveything seriously like you're doing right now. I know they aren't selling our credit cards numbers, I sell books on the Net myself and privacy is the #1 rule.

But, where's the world going if we can't make anymore jokes? I'm asking you...

9. I just checked the site. Their prices are ~ similar to other online stores. In some categories their items cost more than on others, i.e. Bass Northwest is selling Dean basses for a lower price. But all in all it's just another fish in the barrell.

:bassist:

10. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Yeah. In fact I was comparing to "phyisical" stores. But as I order from Canada, the store charges me taxes and transport so I guess it's almost the same. Anyway, I prefer dealing with real people when it comes to such precious objects! Buying a new bass is not exactly like buying a school book!

11. Bullitt

Bullitt

Feb 12, 2004
    Central Indiana
    Your point about the local music stores matching online prices is noted. But, if you will take the time to read the original post again you will see that there are question marks after all sentences. I don't see how you can come up with a case of libel from asking questions. It is alot different from some bozo saying... xxx music store sells home made equipment with the matching headstock and name of "enter large manufacturer here". That would be libel.