Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About Fender's Serial Number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hi Folks,

Need your help fast. I just bidded on a Fender Standard Jazz on a brazilian auction site and the seller says the S/N is MZ2178560.

I'd like your confirmation if that means it's a 2002 Mexican Fender.

And about the color, it's sunburst, is it a new color for MIMs?

Thankyou

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Let's see a (bad) picture :)

3. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    One more

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Boogie mz means its mexican an z does mean in the year 2000 but usually there is a zero after the z ie-MZ01 would be a 2001 mim or MZ02 would be a 2002MIM. as for sunburst it is offered at a higher price. as for that bass it probably is a 02 bass

5. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thanks pyrohr I'll see if thats MZ2 or MZ02 tomorrow

6. I'd say that MZ2 means mexico 2002, dont think that there should be a 0 before the 2. If so then the basses made in 2000 would have a Z00, and I dont think they do.

7. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I was looking at my other MIM which I bought in june/01 and the S/N is MZ0****** , it must be a '00. And the "MZ0" is written with a different font.

Anyway I'm about to make an unbelieveable deal, the guy is asking about U$200 WITH a "groove pack" case. He said he has bought the bass at Sam Ash in Tampa-USA. A new MIM here in my country costs about $600! Since I have other MIM, I'll make one of them fretless!

I have a set o Bartolini single coils (and a BA bridge) on my bass. These pickups are going to be on the fretless and I think I'll buy Dimarzios DP149 for the one that stays fretted!:cool:

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am looking at my mia right now and it says
    z101----
    i know mine isn't a 2010

steve

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Okay here goes mine, my 2002 agave blue MIM pbass MZO2xxxxx like it has been said here the MZO in mine is a different font.I ordered mine from fender in late Sept.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    maybe it is different for mia's and mim's

steve

11. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    my is.. MZ20XXXXX

it is a 2002 MIM fender.

12. While were on the subject of serieal numbers fotr fenders... i have a mim standard jazz and the number is MN9368199...whats this mean?

13. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I think your bass is a '99. M=Mexico; N=nineties.

Thank you very much for your replies, I love this forum!

14. no thank you hah