Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About G&L necks

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by roger winkler, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I have a L-2000 Tribute Premium, year model is 2004. I was just wondering what the difference is in the neck size is, as compared to say a Fender jazz or P-bass. Also, what is the definition of A, B, and C necks? Thanks for any info on this subject. Roger Winkler :help: www.recklessunion.com

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    A = 1.5", same as Jazz
    B = 1-5/8", same as Stingray
    C = 1.75", same as Precision

3. Thanks bdgotoh, I measured my neck and it's a B size. I knew it was wider than a jazz but wasn't sure what width a precision is. Thanks for the info. Roger Winkler www.recklessunion.com

4. Ah, so that's where they got the 1-5/8" from. I never realized that MM Stingray's had a different neck width. I wonder if Leo did that to keep from running afoul of CBS/Fender so many years ago?

Thanks for that pearl, bdgotoh.

5. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Current Fender Precisions (American and Standard) typically have 1-5/8" wide necks. If you are searching for a 1-3/4" neck you will need to get a re-issue model (or a G&L!).

I don't know the history of neck width, but older B-necked Precisions are also not uncommon, especially '70's models. My '74 P-bass has a 1-5/8" neck.

1-5/8 is my favorite size, but I don't believe that G&L offers it. That being said, I dont believe I have met a G&L neck I haven't liked.

Russ