1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

About G&L necks

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by roger winkler, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I have a L-2000 Tribute Premium, year model is 2004. I was just wondering what the difference is in the neck size is, as compared to say a Fender jazz or P-bass. Also, what is the definition of A, B, and C necks? Thanks for any info on this subject. Roger Winkler :help: www.recklessunion.com

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    A = 1.5", same as Jazz
    B = 1-5/8", same as Stingray
    C = 1.75", same as Precision

3. Thanks bdgotoh, I measured my neck and it's a B size. I knew it was wider than a jazz but wasn't sure what width a precision is. Thanks for the info. Roger Winkler www.recklessunion.com

4. Ah, so that's where they got the 1-5/8" from. I never realized that MM Stingray's had a different neck width. I wonder if Leo did that to keep from running afoul of CBS/Fender so many years ago?

Thanks for that pearl, bdgotoh.

5. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander

Current Fender Precisions (American and Standard) typically have 1-5/8" wide necks. If you are searching for a 1-3/4" neck you will need to get a re-issue model (or a G&L!).

I don't know the history of neck width, but older B-necked Precisions are also not uncommon, especially '70's models. My '74 P-bass has a 1-5/8" neck.

1-5/8 is my favorite size, but I don't believe that G&L offers it. That being said, I dont believe I have met a G&L neck I haven't liked.

Russ