Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About mesa cab, defending mo'bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    The first section of my post(the question):
    I am very interested in the mesa powerhouse 1000 cabinet. I am tired of lugging around my big ben and goliath cabs, and am looking in to getting a sinlge cab to get the job done. I can try one out in the small room at guitar center, but that really won't help me all that much in predicting it's performance in real life. I play a 5-string downtuned 1/2 step, in a band with kind of a deftones/tool influence. My guitarist is playing through a mesa 412 with a stereo 2:90 head. I'll be running the cab with my mo'bass bridged running 900 watts at 4 ohms. Comments on this cab? Other suggestions? Will it be enough for large venues?

Second section(the rant):

I have been reading through posts on this site and others concerning the mo'bass and am amazed with some of the comments that I have read about it. One person said that the digitech BP-8 pedal has better sounding effects and is less noisy, that's absurd because I own both, and the mo'basses effects are light years away from the digitech's(it's one of the noisiest pieces of equipment that I have). In every single post that I read, the person posting beleived that the head that they use is the most glowing holy piece of electronic eqiupment on the planet, and everything else is crap. Seeing that everyone uses something different(which by the way happens to suit their own personal tastes) that would mean that every head that exists is the best(or at least in it's owners opinion), and yet all other heads(which others also believe are the best) are crap at the same time too-it just doesn't make any sense to me. My mo'bass has plenty of power for me, and it is terrific in the studio. I like the sound , and obviously some other people do too, because it is a fairly popular product. Regarding the build quality, it is excellent. I work for a company that manufactures optical coating systems and control electronics, and have many years of experience in the electronics field. We've sold multi million dollar systems to JPL,Knolls atomic power labratories, Lucent, Motorola, Perkin Elmer, Melles Griot,Oakley sunglasses, etc.,etc. SWR's build quality for chassis, and circuit board component quality and layout is some of the best I've seen.

Anyways, all that I ask is that you try one for a month before you go around bad mouthing it to everyone you know. If you still don't like it, fine. Go get your ashdown, or aguilar, or eden or whatever suits your fancy. I think that the colorations that all of those heads add to the tone sounds like total junk. What some of you call tone I call mud. So-called "Warmth" covers up mistakes in your playing. That's exactly why I own the head that I do.I like my cold, accurate solid state sounding amplifier(with a tad bit of tube tone of course). If you don't like it, fine, that's your perogative, but don't call other people "trendy" or, "jumping on the bandwagon" just because they like a new product that suits their needs.

There, I'm done. Feel much better now.

P.S. I'm not trying to start a big fight or anything, I just had to get that out:) Please take no offense at my raving. And don't forget about the cabinet question.

Thanks

2. Some of the guys i jam with now and then have a Powerhouse 1000 in their reharsal space and i use it when i play w/them... i am sure it would be loud enough to meet your needs and you would be able to pull a sound you like out of it.

I happen to like my SWR Goliath Sr better though... to my ears it sounds bigger, fuller, and more articulate.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I "test drove" a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 for about a month and loved it. It had a very full tone and I thought it was one of the cleanest across the board that I played. As far as volume it handled my situation easily (loud metal band)....my guitarist has two 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks and the drummer hits real hard......at practice it was great and at gigs there was no problem either. If you are playing large gigs you'll probably run through the PA also so volume from your rig should be way more than enough for stage level. I ran mine with 1000 watts (4 ohms) and couldn't have been happier....except for lugging it around which is why I returned it and went with a Mesa 2x10 and 1x15 :D

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I, too, have really enjoyed my Mo' Bass. Fantastic clean powerful SWR sound. Many here in TB land have thrashed it but I loved mine. Its run like a swiss watch and I never turned the brute up past 4 even when I wasn't running through the PA.
    Unfortunately due to work and family issues, I've had to put it up for sale.
    People shouldn't hesitate to give one a whirl and see what they think.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My experience with the Mo mirrors Brad's. And Brad's post makes most of the points I would have made.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i liked a lot of stuff about the mo' bass. there is no way i can justfiy the cost. sure does look cool, though.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I talked to SWR today and was told that the Mo'Bass was being REDESIGNED with a lot more volume in the clean signal.Obviously I wasn't the only one who noticed the lack of volume when played clean.My friend bought one and took it back when he found out my 400S(500 watts) was way louder than his 800watt Mo'bass.He took his back and got a Bass 750 and is very happy now.

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I wasn't the only one who thought it was quiet.

10. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Well, that was pretty much the reply that I expected. Couldn't hurt trying though. Oh, and about the wiggly pots, if you took the time to open the case and look, or read(even on SWR's website) about why they are like that, you may have a slightly different comment to make. The whole point of my post was that everybody has their own preference, and I'm tired of hearing these people with snobby attitudes and boutique equipment knock stuff that they haven't even tried because one of their boutique eqiupment playing friends said that they don't like it. If you don't fit in that non-humble musician category, then my post was not directed towards you. In addition, I have noticed that the mo'bass seems to be very unpopular with older players, those more accustomed to the standard amp&cab that we're all used to. That isn't neccesarily a bad thing, but the mo'bass has been found useful in the rock scene, such as tool, mudvayne, and others. If you are an old school blues player, then no you probably will hate the cursed thing. The sounds on it are very useful for what I play(which is a very small percentage of all of the other types of music that they would not be useful for) Bottom line- It works for me.:)

11. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    P.S. Brad, I'm sure you are very satisfied with your skill in writing subtle smart aleck responses to peoples posts, and you must be sitting at your computer smirking at the fact that you have irritated yet another mo'bass user and succeeded in entertaining all of your cronies, but please, please next time try not to use the same textbook responses that I hear directed towards me and others posting things that the majority of the people on these boards don't agree with. I respect the fact that you have your opinion, but the sarcasm in your post was pushing the line on exccesive. Really, I honestly tried to write my post to convey my viewpoint and be non offensive at the same time.

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'll try hard not to insult but the mo'bass is crap. It sounds bad, is built poorly, and has no power. I know a former SWR rep and I asked him while he was a rep what he thought of the mo'bass. He told me it was a "fine" product. Not too long ago he decided to get out of the rep business and retire. We were playing around of golf together and I asked him again, what with him no longer being an employee what he thought, he said the head was garbage. Those were his exact words. He said it was built very cheaply. The amp could have been great, he said, but the problem was that SWR at the time was not in great financial shape so the decision was made to cut corners,(corners were cut else where as well). He told me many other interesting things but I will keep those to myself.

Take this for what you will I don't care one way or the other. If you like this amp good for you.

Maybe I should have tried a little hard not to insult:D

13. I don't have an opinion on the mobass.

But the powerhouse 1000 rules. I love that cabinet. Only reason I did'nt get it was due to the cost. If you got the $$$ go for it.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Brad's post may have been sarcastic, but it was also true. I'd rather have a generally insightful and logical statement made with a smirk than one that is nice and polite sounding but carries hidden assumptions and veiled insults. (I don't use a Mo'. So I'm trying to cover mistakes with my playing??)

15. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    You all seem to be quite skilled at reading in between the lines, eh? Did I say that any of you are trying to cover up mistakes? No, I said that the warmer tube sounds cover up things such as fret buzzing, nicking a fingernail too hard on the string, etc. I like more accurate sound for my personal playing because it allows me to play better by hearing every small mistake that I make. My post is not concerned with whether any of you are capable musicians, or even why you use the stuff that you do. It was about the hostile response that nearly every one of you on this board has towards people that have a different opinion than you. BTW, have any of you even designed any type of amplifier? I design solid state circuits daily. I'm sure many of you couldn't even figure out how to make an led light without burning up. It's funny how much people assume that they know just because someone else told them. Try doing a bit of research yourself guys.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i think it is the coolest looking head on the market...oh yeah, a spaceship with sine waves on it and blue led's. yeah, baby :D

17. I'm sure you couldn't value a Chinese gas utility without making an ass of yourself. Your point?

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i know how led's work...how presumptuous of you to say that...that was mean. i know how transistors work, too...get your npn on.....get your pnp on....uhhhhhh *dances around like an idiot*
    cyclotetramethalinetetranitromine is long for hmx. that's the stuff that will burn you up...

:rolleyes:

19. and therefore my opinion on how an amp sounds is obviously worthless?

but i'm getting ahead of myself - if i could build an amp, why would i buy one?

anyway, your opinion has been noted.

20. FWIW, I'd like to add that if you can hear fingernails on windings, fret buzz, etc. over the band, your treble is cranked too goddamn high. That's my problem with SWR amps--it's entirely too easy to get icepick treble out of them. I saw a band whose bassist was using a Jazz into SM-900 with the EQ set more or less flat feeding a 1x15+tweeter cab and I felt my wisdom teeth cracking.

EBS heads are almost the same way but aren't nearly as hyped-sounding in the upper register, which makes my Fafner--when combined with a low-mid-heavy cab like my Aguilar GS410--the ideal amp for me.