Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? about modifying a SWR 115 Workingman combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Aug 14, 2005.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    hey there everyone, ive got a technical question

Ive got a SWR 1x15 Workingman Combo. After some inspection, I reazlied that by unscrewing the Preamp from the body, i could slide it out and just have the 1x15 cab, which is the same as their normal 1x15 workingman cab. The only difference then is that the output from the speaker is a cable instead of a jack to plug into, which a friend of mine who works for a sound company says is a fairly basic modification that can be done pretty easily. So....Are there any complications here, that would stop me from being able to run this and a 210 through a nice head?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Nope. Your pal installs a jack on the cab for $5, and a jack on the head, and you use a speaker cable to connect them as needed.

3. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    that is excellent news. Thought at first I'd haveto sell it and get just the cab, but now i can just do that and save some time.

Any reccomendations for a tube head to run that and (probably) and david eden 210 XST? The idea here is to first get the tube head and just run the the SWR 1x15, then save up some $$ to get the 210.

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It sounds like you have a good plan to sneak into better gear and still keep things working. I'd avoid doing 'mean' things to the combo; you will probably want to reassemble it someday. It's VERY handy to have several rigs so you don't have to pack one around to practice.

I'm sure others can suggest good tube gear; I happily left mine behind in the early 70's.

5. I recently did what you're asking to an SWR WM12 combo.

I've always liked the sound of the WM12 and I had hoped that given the popularity of 1-12 bass speaker cabinets SWR would market a cab-only version of the WM12 or something similar (they offered one briefly, but I digress. I don't care for the 1-12 cabs that are on the market.) I got tired of waiting for an SWR 1-12 cab, so I took matters into my own hands: I bought a non-working WM12 off of ebay. I removed the amp, cut the cab down and replaced 1 piece of carpet.
    Something you didn't mention but may want to consider:
    If you want to use the tweeter, you'll have to get the capacitor out of the amp for the crossover (the WM12 is setup with a tweeter off/on switch built into the amp rather than on the cab and I think the WM15 is this way as well). It's easy to find (I'm not an ET and I found it). I soldered it to the tweeter, and installed a jackplate with an off/on switch for the tweeter. The end of your speaker cable won't be a problem to change/fix.

Note that I did this to a non-working amp that I picked up fairly cheap. I would not go to the trouble for an amp that was still working. YMMV.

If by chance you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll send you some pics of the finished product (put TalkBass in the title).

email: rupsomegrub@yahoo.com

6. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Question about the tweeter: If I choose not to use the tweeter with the 1x15, will that change much of the sound? As it is, I usually turn the tweeter off when using the combo. If I don't want to use it, should I remove it or just leave it there?

Thanks a lot for adressing that issue i thought about it earlier and failed to put anything about it in here.