Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About my "active" new Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Introvox, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok, as some of you already know I now have a Dean Edge 5 Fretless, love it...

Now, I have had it since December 15,03 and have already been through two 9 volts...it seems the bass is using the batteries when it's even unplugged in the case...is this usual. I figured it was like a stomp box, where we unplug the line-in when taking a break...no juice used.

Please inform...

Rob
    www.divashow.ca

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Wierd, are you using good batteries? Get it looked at, and get a copy of the wiring diagram from the manufacturer and chek it out. It should still be under warranty, contact them and ask them if this is common.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Check in the control cavity to see if anything is shorting out (or take it to your dealer). I had a new bass a fews years back that was giving me the same problem, and it was the input jack touching against the copper shielding inside the cavity, thus draining the battery.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Make sure that the bass has a stereo (TRS) jack. I have a Hamer CH12, and it had a factory installed mono jack. The preamp was on all the time and it ate batteries like crazy. I replaced the jack with a TRS and haven't had to replace a battery since.

5. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Well............Since no one else said it.......Make sure to turn the volume knob "off" when not played, and don't leave the cable plugged in.

Besides that check the grounds.

Also I have always had good luck with Duracell batteries.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He did mention that he unplugs the bass.

I have never had leaving the volume knob turned up on any of my active basses run down the battery, as long as I unplugged the cord.