about my bass lessons.......

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JoBo-86, Jun 6, 2001.

1. hey guys,
    I've been playing bass for a little over a year now and have been taking lessons from this guy at a music store. He's basically been teaching me scale patterns, groove lines, a little music theory and teaches me the songs I want to know. I'm getting pretty good and we're now at a point where he really can't teach me more. He's mainly a guitar teacher (he plays guitar) and he can't teach me any slap technique because he doesn't know it. We've kinda come to a stopping point and all he does is just tab out songs for me. It seems kinda pointless to keep going back. I was wondering what i should do, if i should continue on, but there is still alot of bass guitar technique i want to learn but can't. The only way i can play stuff like that is by guessing. What do you all think I should? Thanks.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

First of all, the teacher is tabbing out music for you.
    To stretch your value from him to the next big step, have him teach you to READ standard notation.

Next have him drill you on ear training. Have him play chords and you play a bass line under them...original lines, not something tabbed out from a CD. Have him play notes on your bass with your eyes closed. Can you identify the notes? Have him play a passage and you transcribe what he played.

You attempt to transcribe or learn a song you like. Play it for him and see if he thinks you came anywhere close.

If your teacher doesn't read music in standard notation, move on to another teacher. You have gone almost as far as you can with this one. Of course, until you find a new one, preferably a real bass player, do those jams with him I suggested...playing your original basslines under his guitar chords.
  3. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    There are always other teachers out there. look around find one that fits you musically and on a personel level. But...NEVER just discontinue your lessons! They are so important, It's the best way to advance as a musician! Internet tabs can only get you sdo far.