Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About my other Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LA, Oct 3, 2003.

1. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I think it needs a shim. I can't get the action low enough even with all the string saddles down as far as they will go. What should I use and how should I go about this? Thanks.

2. Before you settle that you need a shim, you should make absolutely sure that the relief in your neck is in perfect adjustment. A less-than-optimum setup on a neck can make it seem like a shim is needed. If your neck does have the proper relief, then a shim should only be needed if the higher registers still prove to have too high a string action.

You can use all sorts of things. Depends on the thickness needed. You can use a piece of business card, coke can, shielding tape, a piece of veneer, a cut up credit card, etc. The shim should be narrow enough to fit between the last 2 screws and the back of the neck cavity and across the entire width of the neck heel. This offers you the most adjustment for the thickness of shim. Keep experimenting until you get the right angle on the neck.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Originally posted by Hambone...

What's the best way to do this on a Standard Fender Jazz?

4. I use [​IMG]

GARY WILLIS SIGNATURE BASS

This guide explains everything if you take your time and study it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Thanks, Treena - I've used that site before...it's quite the bass setup resource. I ended up inserting an old library card into "where the neck joins the bass" (I'm sure it has an official name). I still have to adjust the action; probably tomorrow.

6. JazzX, how did your set up go? Did that card work ?

:confused: Treena

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I tried two cards at first, but it was way off. I ended up using an old library card. The bridge saddles set much higher now than I anticipated, but the setup is doable for now.

8. Good to hear!

;) Treena