Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About my Spector.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Jan 9, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I'm not crazy about the EMG's. I prefer a warm, traditional vintage tone. Got the J at the neck, 40-TW at the bridge, and the Aguilar OBP-1. Suggestions for replacement pups? I'd probably prefer passive.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bartolini perhaps.

3. I'm not crazy about 'em either. I'm also not crazy about the Euro necks and fretwork.

Anyone else have neck issues with the Euros?

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I did. I'm not sure if they fixed them or not, yet. However, I think it was the owner of the store's fault. I had a 4-string natural NS4 (before they became the "euro's") and it was perfect. Fretwork, neck, finish, everything. Then I got a 5-er from a local store, and something was always "popping" inside the neck, like loud enough to where you could hear it. I donno what it was, but still I loved it, and wish I could find one like it, w/out that neck problem. However, I don't like the Aggy pre's or the new TonePump either. I'd hafta get me another '02 or earlier. Maybe even a used US, who knows... But nothing to me plays like a Spector. Can't wait to get another one...

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Maybe try swapping out the preamp?

6. Sell Spector to me - buy P-Bass.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    DiMarzios seem to fit the description you're looking for...

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It sounds like you don't want a spector at all. Spector is not "warm" or "vintage" sounding at all- they are aggressive and hi-fi. Don't frankenstein your SPector, just sell it adn get a J or P- that seems liek waht you are describing you want.

My Euro has perfect fretwork anda great neck... I've never hand any issue with spector's euro basses.

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Perhaps you're right.

I absolutely love the construction, the woods, the all around quality of it, I just can't get around the sound. Add to that that it's my first 5'er (which I can't seem to adjust to either) and maybe it's just not for me. :( :( :(