Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? about older SWR WM 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superfly, May 28, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    What year was SWR taken over by Fender?

Does anyone know of the quaility of an SWR Workingmans 12 Combo with the early black and silver face? (before the change to navy face and red lettering)(which was before the current dk blue black and chrome dome logo)

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    I've got one - in fact, it's my main amp!

It's a good amp, but it's had a major problem...when it was about 6 months old, it blew up essentially , fried the transformer, toasted a circuit board...took the local swr repair station 3 months to fix it, but I haven't had a problem since. Apparently, they had a bad solder joint on the heat sink- only one i've heard of with this problem.

3. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I had a WM12 I bought in 1998 that was reliable, loud, had a good DI.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great amps! I owned 2. Like an idiot I sold the first and replaced it soon after. The amps are solid. The only problem I ever had was when I drove it too hard and it shut down. It overheated. When it cooled off (about 10 minutes later) it was ok. I was at a practice with 2 loud guitar players, a drummer, percussionist, two keyboards and a singer...

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Great little amps. Depending on the gig they can carry a room pretty well. I have never had trouble with any of the SWR stuff I've owned - and I've had a lot of it.