1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

About one in four Americans have a passport: do you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by richnota, Sep 19, 2008.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    It amazes me that so few of my fellow citizens have a passport. Latest estimate (from summer '07) was 27%. Now I understand there's a few reasons:

- A lot of folks cant afford to go far--but that would only account for part
    - Its a really big country compared to many and you could spend all your travel time within its borders
    - Some people just don't like unfamiliar places.

Traveling around the world (and through the US) really changed my perspective. I'd argue that getting to know regular people from other places really gives you a different pov on things.

Have you been abroad?

2. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope. I've never left the country and I never intend to.

3. I do not - but only because I simply can't afford to travel abroad. When I can afford to go overseas for a vacation or even spend a semester abroad, I'll get one.

4. i have one, but do not use it as much as i would like.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes, but it took a remarkably long time for me to actually travel abroad. Lack of money early on, then I just didn't have the opportunity for a long time.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard.

I have two, a diplomatic passport and a standard one. I love traveling abroad - I recommend the exerience to anyone. Not only do you get a chance to see amazing things about other cultures, you get a unique appreciation for America. One that you'll never get staying in your own country.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Why is that?

8. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I plan on getting mine this summer.

9. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I've got a passport, but if I remember correctly it expired last april. I'll prolly need to renew it though, it's probable that I'll be going to Germany in the next few years

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    what?!?!?!?!? you never want to leave america. wow!!!!!

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    o yea and i do have a passport......

12. Nope.

13. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Yes, I have a passport.

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, I have one, and while I've only used it a handful of times so far (due to limited finances), I intend to fill it up in the years ahead.

I do have a stamp in there from one country that "should not" have a stamp in there. ;)

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yes I do.

And my photo from it is possibly the worst I've ever taken. It makes me look like a sexual deviant from a registered offender directory. More than usual anyway.

Every time I've left the country I've had the same feeling on the return trip. It's an odd mixture of being really happy to be back in the US combined with a strong desire to travel abroad again.

16. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like where I live. I get homesick when I'm away for more than a few days. As for seeing the sights of the world? The most beautiful sight I've ever seen, in photos OR in real life, is less than 75 miles from my house. The second most beautiful sight I've seen... completely different sight, also roughly 75 miles away. (Vasquez Rocks and the view from my friend's cabin in the San Bernardino Mountains).

As for travelling and seeing different cultures, I'd rather travel within the US and see every unique culture and community that exists before I even consider looking outside of the US. ;)

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have dual citizenship. I have passports for both countries. My son has three.

Edit: Nick, buddy, I live about twenty minutes away from you. Those places are nice, but there are places and people on this planet that humble those places. We do live in one of the best places on the planet, but that doesn't mean that we can't check other places out.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I can understand liking where you live, but if you think you're seeing "every unique culture" in America you are gravely mistaken. America is one of the only countries I know where you can travel 3000 miles and still be in the same place.

I've got a passport, and I use it for my job - travelling the globe playing bass. I really want to travel more and more, and see more exotic cultures. I'm planning on putting music down for a few years and wandering the earth like that guy from Kung Fu.

19. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i have a passport, yes. i need to travel more, though.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'd love to study a broad but I don't know what my life would say. ar ar ar

I do have a passport, but I've only left the country to go to Canada. We had to postpone our honeymoon to Germany again, but that's 'cause we bought a house.