1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

About one in four Americans have a passport: do you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by richnota, Sep 19, 2008.

1. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

agreed 100% .
    i have only traveled abroad a few times
    { mexico , jamaica and canada }

while it may be true that " theres no place like home " ,
    traveling does open your mind to other cultures .
    gives you different perspectives ,
    and maybe , something you may not have considered before ...

on the other hand ,
    beautiful countryside , interesting people , fantastic scenery ...

and that's just Texas . :D

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Yes

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Pretty sure my passport is expired. I really need to renew it, if it is, because traveling is one of the most amazing things you can do. No TV program, book, or movie can compare to seeing, doing, meeting, learning, etc. about the rest of the world with a first-person point of view.
    That chance to learn is what I love most about my job. I talk to people from all walks of life and from all corners of the globe on a daily basis. Right now I have a ship captain from Croatia that is one of the coolest people I've ever met. We spend about two hours each day sitting and talking. Fascinating.

4. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    My wife and I have passports. We have been to London and Rome together. I have been all over the place for work. It is almost time to add pages. We are planning to get the kids passports this year and go to Paris, France as a family next year.

5. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i have one because i have a brother living in germany. and i agree with you, i never intend on leaving the usa, unless i get a call from springsteen and he needs a guitar tech!!!! or a bassist.:hyper:

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I plan on doing a lot of pebble snatching.

7. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Yes, I have a passport and I've used it.

8. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    yep, as do my wife and son. we LOVE travel, and plan to take another trip abroad next year....

9. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Yes. Only Canada and Italy so far.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    bought one because i was supposed to go to euro land and fill in on bass for a re-union tour. tour never happened and i still have one.

11. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    :atoz::crying::atoz::crying::bawl::atoz::bawl: :crying::atoz:

But really, if someone never sees another country... you are missing out on so much. You don't realize that there are places completely different than where you are. Entirely different cultures with incredibly different values. But then again, I guess that's why we're stuck in our 'MERICA, YEAH! stage without any real regard for other cultures besides the mainstream one here...

12. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Both my cats even have a passport! :bassist:

13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've had one since about age 16.

M

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm getting one [at least starting the paper work] in a few weeks-right around payday.

I've got a friend that moved to London that I'd love to go visit. She said when I come over, I have to go to Paris with her and then we can hang out in London for the rest of the time.

Other wise-I want to visit at least Canada, Germany. Italy, and Ireland.

The other main reason is-I've got a cruise planned for January and it seems like getting a passport for that would be nice. Their website [Carnival] talked about how the US regulations for cruising are shifting so much and that if possible-to get a pass port. Note: this is just a weekend cruise to the Bahamas.

I can believe that about 1/4 having one. I'm actually a bit surprised that it's that high.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i always thought abroad meant over the ocean to europe?

16. Oddly, I think that's a fairly narrow view. I realized that there were places completely different than my present location before I ever got on a plane. I'm also not sure who you hang out with, but if your present situation mirrors the "'MERICA, YEAH! stage without any real regard for other cultures besides the mainstream one here", it might be time for a change of venue within the borders.

I've got a mix of friends with varied travel experience (from none to all over Hell's Half Acre) and not one of them fits that stereotype. Without carrying this thread too far off course, you might want to look around and see how many people actually do fit that mold. It's not as many as some like to portray.

Mike

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    \

Good god, man - look up hyperbole.....:rollno:

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good god, man - look up sarcasm..... :rollno:

bc

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do. They take too long to get to wait until the last minute. They're good for ten years, so I got one just in case I feel like going to Canada for a weekend.

That's the only border I'll likely cross in the near future due to finances.

Besides, it's an extra form of ID. Comes in a lot of handy when dealing with the government sometimes.

20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I have a passport. I've been to Canada, England, Austria, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein.