1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

About one in four Americans have a passport: do you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by richnota, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm on my second one, and I need to renew it soon.

Traveling is one of the most interesting experiences I can think of. Especially when I travel to some place with a different culture and language; I enjoy the challenge of having to figure things out and not simply rely on autopilot. I can see, though, why some find it fearful.

2. Just got it last year to go to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Before that I had only been to Mexico (Tijuana and Puerto Vallarta) and Canada (Montreal, Victoria and Vancouver).

Headed to Paris in a week for my honeymoon... and hopefully many, many more places in the years to come.

3. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I'm on my second one. It gets used quite a bit and would get used more if the dollar wasn't so weak.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, weird thing about new passports. I've been through a few of them, and had to renew mine this year. Was kind of sad to see all the pages of stamps go. Anyway, I got held up getting into Japan a few months ago. They scrutinize new passports apparently because they have clean pages. I didn't know that. Had to get interviewed getting into Japan.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    yeah I had that problem in China last summer. They probably had all my records of having been there before but there were no stamps in the back. He held me up scrutinizing it and calling over higher-ups for 10 minutes or so at one of my crossings.

6. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Don't have one, and financially don't see it coming up any time soon. I DO regret not having grabbed a backpack and found a way to get overseas 10-15 years ago -- now I know I would have really enjoyed backpacking, hostels, seeing more of the world...

But what I think is even better is if you can find a way to live in another country for a good chunk of time. My wife has done a lot of travel, and spent a year in the USSR -- just outside Moscow. Her stories of day-to-day life are amazing, but it also gave her a profoundly deeper appreciation for the things we have here in the US and don't appreciate enough (and a perspective on the things we have that serve NO purpose :) ).

And I'll admit...when I travel around the US, I mostly enjoy visiting diners...

ltt

7. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    I have one, but I seriously have forgotten where it is. :meh:

8. Yes. I have been to 18 countries (I'm in the hotel business).

I also have a current passport.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have a CRV.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well played.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yes I do.

Got mine renewed when I went back to Germany a few years back, and now it has a japan stamp on it as well.

I plan on wearing it out, and/or filling it up before it expires.

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I hope to get one soon. I can't see myself being able to afford to go anywhere anytime soon, but I don't want to miss any opportunities.

Question:

What's the difference between a passport card and the traditional passport book?

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my passport expired years ago..

14. The card is only good for going to Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. The book is good for the whole world.

Travel broadens the mind in ways you would never appreciate otherwise. Everyone should make the effort to see more of the world. I've travelled a lot, and there's still loads more places I want to go.

15. I'm on my second. Traveling is a passion of mine.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm on my 3rd and 2nd (I have two passports). But, I'm not American. :)