Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About Orange Oil & Beeswax (Also Rosewood Oil)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ubersam, Apr 24, 2004.

1. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I've been reading around here about cleaning the fretboard (one rosewood, one wenge). And since I'm soon to aquire an oil finished bass (presumable Tung oil), I've read up on waxing as well. With so many products recommended and not recommended, I'm having a bit of a hard time. I've considered Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil, Fingerboard 01 & 02, Dr. Stringfellow Lemon Oil, other music store products, Formby's Lemon Oil. Somehow I couldn't make up my mind about them. Then there's the Boiled Linseed Oil, which I'm also hesitant to use. Maybe on the back of the unfinished wenge/bubinga neck, although I might use tung oil for that.

Then I read someone of else who uses (Prelude Orange Oil) but I can't remember if they were using it for cleaning or conditioning (the fretboard) or both. I checked out the info on the net and it seems like a better alternative to Lemon Oil. Anyone else use this Orange Oil stuff?

O.K., on to waxing. My initial consideration was towards Warwick Beeswax, which I'm assuming is all natural. Then there's Butchers Wax, Minwax, etc., all of which i presume has petroleum distillates (of which I'm under the impression to not be too good for the bass in the long run and therefore would prefer to avoid using). So since I was checking out the Orange Oil, I checked this out as well - Prelude Oil and Wax. Anyone use this on their oil finished bass? Can I also use this for the back of the unfinished neck? Or should the neck be finished first?

My primary goal is to preserve/maintain the instrument for use through many, many years.

Lastly, anyone heard of Rosewood Oil? Just wondering if this could be used to oil the fretboard.

2. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    no opinions? no comment? :meh:

I guess I'm gonna have to find an old instrument to be a guinea pig.