Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About ready to get a new cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    OK, so I have about enough $ together to get my new cab. I use a Mesa Boogie 400+ and have narrowed it down to the following cabs:
    Mesa Powerhouse 1000
    Aggie 412
    Aggie 810
    Bergie 610
    Bergie 215
    Bergie 425
    Schroeder 310212 (or 21012 if its enough)
    Eden 610 (or 810)
    Eden 215
    I have tried other cabs and just don't like how they sound. What would you recommend in a loud rock/metal/punk setting? I want some serious low end for my B string, but I really want to know is how they compare at louder (gig w/o PA) volumes. If there is a good rock cab (nothing Ampeg and not SWR for this setup) not listed that you would recommend, go ahead. Also, I'm getting some FX soon as well, and which cab would sound better with reverb, delay, and distortion?

2. Gotta get that Powerhouse 1000. I played an M-Pulse 600 a while ago at Guitar Center through a Powerhouse 1000 and I almost soiled myself. I can't even begin to imagine what it would sound like through a 400+. If you do get it remember to find a 4 ohm cab. And if you haven't yet, I would recommend trying a combination of Powerhouse 2x15 and 2x10.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I know that the 1000 has a godly tone, but all of the cabs I'm looking at are very awesome sounding at the volumes I played them. But the Ohms doesn't really matter much, as the 400+ will do 2, 4, or 8 all at 300 watts.

4. yes most deffinatly get the 1000, I played one through a big block 750, at GC :meh: and the reginal manager was their came in while I played and looked dissapointed(cause I bet him to it, they and just gotten it that day) and freakin is right, I was told to turn up :eek: :hyper: and got a bunch of funny looks and when I walked out of their I had a HUGE smile on my face. you just can bet the tone.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    All of those cabs have a Godly tone and would make anyone soil themselves if driven by your amp. However, many of them have quite different tone. The ones with the 10's will handle the lows, but if you want earth-shattering lows at high volumes, I'd lean more towards the ones with the 12's, personally.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I vote for the Berg 610.

7. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use an m-pulse through a 210 and 115. Amazing, i never played through a better sounding combination. I can only imagine how it will sound through a powerhouse 1000.

8. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The Eden D-610XLT will rock your world!!! One cab for all venues.

I do find it ironic that you have listed all boutique type Hi-Fi cabs and then will be putting effects into the mix. What style music do you usually play??

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I wouldn't call all of those cabs Hi-fi really, the only ones I would consider hi-fi are the Schroeder ones and maybe the Aggie ones... On second thought the Eden might fit into that category. I play many styles with a few local bands though, from metal to rock funk on the lines of the Chili Peppers, and occasionally I get into a bit of blues and sometimes jazz as well, depending on where a bassist is needed ;) . I would not be using FX in every situation, but would like them to be heard when I do use them. As for them being boutique cabs, I have a very awesome local dealer (Basses Electric-Acoustic) who stocks most of the cabs, and they really are not much more expensive than say an Ampeg 810 and such. But to my ears, the cabs listed are the ones which sound best with my 400+ at low volumes.

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I play at some VERY loud venues, some outside with no pa and some just plain loud. We play rock of all kinds. To me the berg are the best sounding cabs of the ones you've mentioned but... in my band it take two of them. Ive own the nv 610 and it just didnt get loud enough and didnt have a huge bottom end. The 425 has the bottom but still didnt get loud enough.
    The scho 310212 is a great cab and the only scho cab I liked the tone of. Its a small cab that weighs a lot and its a pain in the but for me to move (and I dont mind heavy gear).
    I've never liked the tone of edan cabs for the same reason of the schro cabs, I dont like the mid bump.
    I have the aguilar 412 and its a great cab. Its one of the few cabs I can use as a stand alone cab. Goes down to 37hz and sounds like it to. The top end is lacking a bit but its really not missed, just doesnt stand out like in some other cabs.

Ive found that when playing outside that larger speakers have better though and "feel" for me. Ive never liked 15" speakers so 12" has been a good mix for me.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Interesting... To my ears, the Aggie 412 and Bergie 215 sound the best at lower volumes, and I think I'm probabally going to get one of those. If I ever really need to, I think I may get another cab to go with the setup eventually, or use my existing EV 215 with another cab for more volume...

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I vote the Schroeder. I've played the Eden's, almost all Mesa cabs (bar the 1000 though :() and two Aggie 212's together.

Now, from my personal experience with the 410 and just going by what your after, I think it'd be great. Personaly, I LOVE the Mesa's tone, but I think it's a bit too soft/cusioney sounding to suit best in Metal and Punk.. I havn't tried the 1000 though, but that's the vibe I get from all their other cabs (although Diesel series cabs are the opposite). The Eden's are also great, I havn't played a 215, but I did play two 15's stacked. Now as far as they go, they're great at cutting through and being nice and punchy, but for some reason (And I also LOVE the Eden tone, especially with a Warwick) it sounded slightly thin, especially when I compare to the Schroeder. I played a single Aggy 212 and it was so-so on it's own IMO. It sounded great, but I couldn't really see it standing up in a loud band and not getting lost. I added a 410 on top and it sounded great, also another 212 and that was pretty montrous, it'd definently sound great in a band setting.. The overall sound was very fat and punchy, smooth and 'gooey' in a way. Didn't really have a sharp attack to it (though with the 410 on top it did) but I could still see it getting lost in the mix occasionally (though it would fill a band well), which has also being said about the 412.

Now the Schroeder, I may be biased, as I own one, but IMO and for me, it's for good reason. The Schroeder has a low mid bump kind of like the Eden's, yet across the WHOLE range it's alot fuller IME. It's deep (and mines only the 410) and it's real punchy. It's got a slight dark colour to it and almost a woody sound to it (duno if that's the right word, lol). It sits great in a band setting and cuts right through. For that whole punk/metal/rock thing I think it'd be great, as that mid bump helps you get through that mix and has a tone that'd suit that sort of sound well I reckon. I'm sure the 21012 would do you (my 410 certainly is, and we play LOUD rock, for an idea go here http://www.myspace.com/themissingmusic , recordings were NOT with the Schroeder though) and if you talked with Jorg, he could recommend the best cabinet for you.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I think all of those cabs are great although I havn't had the pleasure of playing a Bergie, which I would dearly love to.. For me, the Schroeder is perfect, although it may not be for you.. So yeah. I'l try get some sound clips if you'd like?

EDIT: Also one thing i'd like to add. Schroeder are built for a band setting really. I actually love the sound of my Schroeder on it's own at home, but I can see how some might not. BUT I love this thing so much more when I play with the band, you don't really notice a low mid bump as such in your sound as much as you would at home, it's just like your hearing yourself alot better (and so is everyone else) without turning up.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Man, go with the Powerhouse 1000 on this one! Hands down. That 400+ is going to sound just dad-blasted out of this world thru that cab. Granted, I own a smaller Schro and love it, but I've never played a 310212, so can't really comment, but HAVE played thru 400+'s and 1000's before, and heard many others do the same with incredible results. From being a previous Mesa-junkie, Mesa stuff sounds best with Mesa stuff. That's what I've found and stick by said opinion. :)

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The reason I would want a 21012/310212 over the 410 is the low B. How does the 410 handle the B at high volumes?
    Sure. Send me a PM.

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The 410 handles my friends Cort's low B easily (i'm a 4 banger mainly). I think Jorg said he plays drop A through the 410 no worries..
    Volume wise, i'm sure a 21012 would do you, but you might want to talk with Jorg to set the scene with him.

I'll have a go at recordings, but I don't really have any fancy recording equipment :p

One other thing i'll point out. I'm now running my V8 overdriven almost 100% of the time. Even if i'm 'clean' it's usually got an edge and some grit to it, especially when I dig in from the gain being up. Overdrive through this cab sounds superb. Even with it on heavily, I still don't get lost in the mix (two other distorted guitars) and it's still got the bottom end and punch to it.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My vote would be for the NV215, or, if you want a bit more aggression in the mids, and you don't need high end clarity, then the NV425. I think that if you want the really deep low end, you would prefer the two of those over the NV610 (which does punch through like a mofo, though). The NV215 is deeper than the 435, and has more high end, but the 425 will add in some of the midrange punch of the 610.

Another cab to consider would be the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. All of the Accugroove cabs are great, but I find that the Jr. sounds the best with tube amps, IME. I should also mention that my two Dr. Bass cabs (custom lightweight 1x15 and 2x10) really sound whomp @$$ with tube heads, too.

Tom.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1 on what Tom said. I love my NV610, but earth shaking booty is not its strong suit. It punches ya in the gut with mids, which is the sound I like. One day, I'm gonna check out Tom's NV215, and I'm afraid I'll like it as well as my 610!

18. Of the ones you mentioned I would go with the Bergies in a heartbeat. But I don't play your type of music. I would think the Mesa Powerhouse 1000, the Aggie 810 or 412 or the big Schroeder would be better suited to how you describe your music. My first choice for what you describe would be the Aggie 810. YMMV, of course.