1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

? about Reproducing the Compression of Myung's bass solo in "Metropolis Part I"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rtav, Nov 1, 2013.

1. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Hey TBers,

For those of you familiar with Dream Theater's "Metropolis Part I," my band has been playing the song for years.

John Myung plays a tapping bass solo starting on F# and moving up the major scale to A. In the studio recording, it sounds as if he's got TONS of compression dialed in, no dirt, and maybe some other things going on. Unfortunately, I'm NOT an effects guru at all, but I'm tired of not getting the same type of heavy compression for the solo (I think) I'm hearing on the studio recording.

I currently use a Boss ME-50B multi-effects, and just switch on some dirt to play the solo, but I'm sick of it. I'm considering buying a standalone Markbass Compressore, dialing in as much compression as possible, boost the gain and then hit that pedal before the solo (I'm sure I'd get other uses from it, but that's mainly why I want it). I've tried tweaking the existing compression effects on the ME-50B, but they don't come anywhere near getting that sound (and besides, the compressor is always on - and I don't want to sound squeezed to death all the time).

For those of you who know the bass solo, and who know far more about effects (especially compression) than me (which is probably everyone on this site), do you think that a second compression pedal, with heavy compression dialed in, would give me a similar sound in the Metropolis solo that Myung has on the studio recording? If not, what do you suggest I look into before I plunk down the $?

FWIW, besides the ME-50B (which has some chorus and a few other effects including mild compression dialed in all the time except when I want dirt), I use ESP LTD 6 string basses and a Trace Elliot AH500X head into TE 1048 and 1528 cabs.

Thanks - and go low!

2. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    After watching some effects vids on Youtube, I'm wondering if Myung's tapping sound isn't due more to an envelope filter than compression... any thoughts? TIA!