1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

? about Sansamp BDDI with GK MB200

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dougjwray, Apr 2, 2013.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I've been using an MB200 for about a year. Last night I picked up a BDDI. I haven't experimented with the latter yet, but I'm anticipating using it as a preamp into the effects return of the MB200, so that the GK is functioning only as a power amp. (This is because I need more midrange grit than the MB200 provides, but it does provide nice clean power, at a good level for small clubs.)

My question:
    In the past, when I've used a preamp into a "real" power amp (Crown, QSC), the rule of thumb has always been to crank the level of the power amp all the way up, and control the volume with the preamp. Should I do this with the MB200/BDDI combination?

My main concern is to avoid frying anything. I can hear when things are distorting, but I don't want a situation where I plug something in and curls of blue smoke immediately start to appear. :eek: :D

Thanks in advance!

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I also posted this over in Amps, and someone helpfully pointed out that the MB200 doesn't have an effects return.

Oops!

:bag:

But... I also own a 400RB and a 1001RBII -- which do have effects returns -- and I'll ask the very same question about them.

Anyone?

3. Yes you can run it the way you said where you crank the master all the way up and use the BDDI to control volume. However it might be hard to get grit that way, as that generally allows you to keep the preamp volume lower (especially on the 1001RBII). You can try it several ways, I don't think you'll fry anything.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for the answer.
    I don't think I would have trouble getting grit, because I'd be getting it from the BDDI's "Drive" control.

5. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    GK MB200 has an efx loop?

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    You can crank up the GK RB poweramp, it's where the gk magic comes from.

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm not sure I would do that. But you're supposed to run the power section at 3 o'clock anyway. Maybe that'll be enough.