Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About Shielding paint

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dooft11, Sep 15, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Dear all, i used to use Copper foil for the shielding in my project, but after seeing the clean and neat result of Mr. Nino's work, i ordered my first Shielding paint from Stewmac, a little question, when i use cop foil in the old day, i need to ground it and usually i will have a wire either branched off from the grounding wire underneath the bridge or just a seperate wire soldered to on the copper foil. but do i need to do the similar thing when i use paint?
    or just lead all the g wire from the pot and the bridge to the jet and leaving the painted control cavity not connecting anything be Ok?
    urgent
    please help :help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Should be fine without grounding the actual paint.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    No, the paint must be grounded to have any effect. When using paint, either screw a ground lug though the paint into the wood or, if in a bass with no pickguard, make sure the pots contact the paint where they pass through the top wood.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well I was going to argue that I've shielded basses without having to do that, but then I remembered that the shielding I've done always touches the pots at some point, so I guess I can't. OK, I stand corrected.

5. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Thanks for the input, i hope the paint can do a better job than the foil, at least its dark flat finish is cool looking..haha :bassist:

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Copper actually does a better job, if the install is correct. But paint works well, too.

7. another good suggestion...I think...

apply a small patch (size of a US nickel...or an aussie 10cent piece) of the copper tape first...solder an earth wire to it...and then paint the copper as well as the cavity...this will give you a really good contact between the paint and earth (ground)

8. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    the best of both world, thanks bro