Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Down, May 9, 2001.

1. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    I didn´t find any existing threads about this, so, tell me;
    when slapping, should I make a hit to the string by moving my thumb or my wrist??
    Or both??

2. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    ...and sorry bad english.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's in the wrist. Try and get all the motion there, it's easier and more precise. Don't worry, the grammar police seem to have passed you (and me) by.:D

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Keep your thumb rigid and motionless. Pretend you're turning a door knob back and forth with your wrist and let your thumb bounce off the strings.

It may not work for you right away, but then, techniques usually don't.

5. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    Ok, thanks, I think I´ve got it.
    But is it bad thing, that when I´m slapping fast, my
    elbow is moving with the wrist, and the whole hand from wrist to shoulder is not as relaxed as it is when I´m slapping slowly.

6. rickbass

Yes, it's something you don't want incorporate into your technique. As I mentioned, pretend you're turning a door knob. Your elbow and upper arm muscles don't move noticeably when you open a door, (I hope). If you get the rest of your arm jerking around, you'll never last a night onstage unless you play fingerstyle/pick the whole time. Your arm will be stronger though. But playing bass isn't about strength.

7. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    Thaaank You, that door knob-thing made it on me:)..
    You can now proudly say that You have teached one Finnish beginner idiot to slap!:)

8. rickbass

Down - Well, awriiiiight!!! Slap on, brother, slap that board silly!

9. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    ...is this door knob-thing same thing as double thumbing technique?

10. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I don't think so, Down.

In my opinion you shouldn't start worrying about "double-thumping" yet , or ever, for that matter.
    Although I know a few proffesional players like Victor Wooten and Les Claypool can use it well, it can generally mess up your slapping technique if you attempt it before you know the "classic" thumb technique, what rickbass meant by the doorknob thingie I guess...
    And you CAN slap fast w/o double-thumbing too...

/lovebown

11. rickbass

Lovebown is 100% correct. Just worry about getting a good, assertive, single bounce off the string with your thumb for now.

You normally don't turn a door knob twice to open a door, right? Once you have the single slap down you'll have the quick release of the fretting finger mastered so you can produce two, distinct, articulate, notes with the double thump/slap instead of re-striking the same, sustained note.

Keep at it and you may be asking about combining pops with your slaps in due time. :D

12. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    Once you have the single slap down you'll have the quick release of the fretting finger mastered so you can produce two, distinct, articulate, notes with the double thump/slap instead of re-striking the same, sustained note.

In fact, I´ve all the time tried to practice down-up-motion.It feels much more natural to take the thumb up, back to the string after it has done the hit to string with the down-motion.
    Umm..can You say that quote any..other way?
    I´m not very sure did I understand it correctly(yes, bad english I have:D).

13. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Well, that's not neccecarily the WRONG technique but you probably wont be able to achieve a satisfactory tone, nor speed .. but hey if it works for you go for it..

/lovebown

14. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    In fact, I´ve all the time tried to practice down-up-motion.It feels much more natural to take the thumb up, back to the string after it has done the hit to string with the down-motion.
    Umm..can You say that quote any..other way?
    I´m not very sure did I understand it correctly(yes, bad english I have:D).

15. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    Now it works!:D

16. PABass

PABass

May 20, 2001
    Allentown, Pa
    There is a very helpful video by Alexis Slavreski(sp), I find I learn better from watching, although slapping is not comming easily for me!