Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About Stewart (Class H) amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Aug 25, 2004.

1. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    ...I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this question:

How sensitive to voltage "issues" are these amps? Are they as "forgiving" as other, more common amps? Or do they demand clean, precise voltages to operate properly?

The reason I ask (as many of you may have already surmised) is that too many of the bars/clubs where we play just don't know "squat" about their electrical systems.

I don't want to purchase a Stewart and then find that it won't "put out" just because we're gigging at "The Taco Shack" instead of Madison Square Garden! ;)

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm no engineer, but the Furman PL-plus in my rack does have a voltage meter. I've used my Stewart in gig environments that often deliver lower-than-optimum voltage, and I've never noticed degradation in sound from the Stew.

3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I think all teh Stewarts have SMPS in them (switchmode power supplies).

Thos are usually quite forgiving of varying line voltages, although they may shut off like any other one if it drops too far.

Some SMPS amps may accept anything from 85V to 264 V and work fine.

I have heard that some of the Stewarts tend to get hot and shut down, but that may or may not be related to electricity issues. Could be, current draw and stress for an SMPS goes up a bit at low line.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This only applies to the models that don't have a fan (e.g. the 1.2), and even then, typically in very hot conditions (sunny outdoor summer gigs).

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've never had an issue with my stewart 2.1 - it has a fan
    im sure plugging into a pl-pro helps some

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I used my stew 1.2 at practice with a 150' ext cord and very bad power in the bld for up to 5 hrs at a time for PA use. Never had a problem with it.

7. I've had my World 1.2 shut down twice at outdoor "picnic" gigs running bridged mono at the end of a long extension cord. It would trip the protection circuit, and it would come back after turning the power switch off and then on, but sounding a bit strange. After a few minutes, it would trip again, and I had to keep reducing power till it would limp along sounding terrible without much output but not tripping. This was a terrible experience.

I had a similar experience using two World 600s for PA service in bridge mono.

I have a 1.6 and a 2.1 and they have never exhibited this trait.

ALoha,

Jonathan

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    My most profound appreciation to all of you for your comments! :D

Now...

...any of you Stewart "stewards" drive Acme B2's with your amps? :meh:

If so, are there any particular "helpful hints or tips" you'd like to pass along?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my 1.2 has NEVER shorted out on any of my usual 45 min. - 1 hour gigs. and we're talkin' full bore into my Acme B4.

i'm still considering getting a 2.1 w/ the fan, tho, cause next spring will be outdoor gig heaven. :p :cool: