About the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp...anyone heard a bass with one?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Edgar San Gabriel, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Edgar San Gabriel

Edgar San Gabriel

Aug 28, 2000
    Has anyone heard, installed, or heard comments about the Aguilar OBP-1 onboard bass preamp? I need a preamp for my Am. Stand. Jazz Bass (all original). This bass records great but does not cut through live.
  2. billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    Yeah, I've got one on one the basses I built this year (with Bartoini PJ pickups). Very clean and quiet. I think they're similar to Sadowsky's preamp (I think Aguilar made the first preamps for Sadowsky).
    I'd have to say to only down sides are, there are only two tone controls bass and treble, and they are boost only. In some live situations for any solo work, I like to boost the mids slightly so the bass will speak well. There is no way to boost the mids with a treble and bass boost only set up, though this is a small down side. Good tone is something that is hard to describe, but you know when you hear it.
  3. Edgar San Gabriel

Edgar San Gabriel

Aug 28, 2000
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the preamp, and was interested in using concentric (stacked) tone pots for the bass and treble knobs. I wanted to keep the cable jack on the control plate.

But I just realized that the space under the control plate is the only hollow section for which to put the preamp and the 2 batteries. Did you have to rout your bass under the pickguard? How is your bass set up controlwise?

And one more question, have you heard the Fender American Deluxe Series jazz basses? I read their spec sheets and they say that they have a boost function of 18db, the same as the OBP-1. Do they compare in sound, in your opinion?
  4. billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    I custom build basses, so I use those double battery compartments. You could buy one of those, (from Stewart-McDonald or through your local music store)and position it so the battery compartment would open into your control compartment. This would help you avoid trying to drill an access hole from the battery compartment to the control compartment under the pickguard. You will have to get a stacked 25K knob for tone operation (passive uses 250K but active usually requires 25K pots).
    I've got a friend with an American Standard Jazz with active, but we've never A-B'd them.
    Let me know what you think.
    What kind of amp do you have, and what kind of music do you play?
  5. Edgar San Gabriel

Edgar San Gabriel

Aug 28, 2000
    I wanted to avoid routing the bass body in any way since I wanted the option to remove the preamp if I was not happy with it. But I guess I'll have to think a little further about installing it. The bass sounds really good stock but I always craved to have a Marcus Miller type of tone.

My main bass is an all walnut 1983 Fender Precision Special which is very rare. It is one of the first basses that Fender made with a preamp. It has a very deep and warm tone.
    I have 2 amps: an SVT solid state combo with 4 10" speakers (250 watts) and I usually stack this one with an Eden 2 10" cab with a tweeter; and a Peavey Mark 3 which I use with a Peavey 2 15" cab (my favorite amp setup).
    I play in a rock and roll band (Springsteen, Petty, Costello)called Power13 (www.power13.com)in the S.F. Bay Area. You can hear our music on mp3.com (please use the search feature).

We recently finished at #17 in Garageband.com's contest for a band to be featured in Adam Sandler's new movie. You can check out that site, too. I have heard pretty good music through that site.

I saw your profile and it is pretty impressive. What's your gear and band(s) like?
  6. billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    My main rig any more is a Carvin R1000 head I also have a rack I use to use on the road with a BBEpreamp, DBX compressor and Crown power amp. I design and build all my speaker cabinets (I'll be going public next spring as 'Roze' basses and cabinets). I've got three 4-10's cabs with aluminum drivers and Foster horns, a 2-10" with Eminence drivers, an EV TL6 design 1-15". One of my experimental cabinets (I just sold last month) was really interesting. It had 8-8's and a horn facing foward in two seperate subcompartments, and facing backwards were 2 500w 15"s, also in two seperate subcabinets. It had a free standing baffle that stood about 4" behind the cabinet to fold the low back around. The tone wasn't what I'd hope for, but for outside rocknroll jobs it was awesome. The cabinet was stereo input (front/back)and could handle 1480 watts rms. I had drummers tell me their band should have a clause that any bass player that plays with their band should have to use one of my rigs.
    I play mostly R&B now with Johnny G and the Allstars. I'm also a staff musician and Christian Fellowship Church in Columbia MO. I'm originally a classical bassist, through junior high and high school. Thought I'd go on through college and join a syphony orchestra. But, I started playing electric when I was 15 and by 19 I went on the road with a rock band in the midwest for four years, so it goes.
    Whew!! that took a lot out of me
    Good Luck with you bass
  7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My custom Hoyt 5 string fretted bass has the onboard Aguilar. I prefer the Bart preamps I have in a couple other basses and will swap out the Ag for another Bart ASAP.

The main complaint is that it is boost only and I'm not happy with the frequency bands -- I think if I were a slap bassist who likes the smiley curve, they might be suitable, but I'm not-- IME the bass comes on too low and too quick, and the treble seems a bit high.

I certainly can get a good sound out of it, with just a touch of bass and varying treble depending on the tune's requirements. But it isn't as comfortable as the Barts, whose treble doesn't seem so high. Just my .02 - YMMV.

The bass is on my web site; FYI- playing it through an Eden Navigator, Crown amp, and Euphonic Audio 208 and 210.
  8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    As a Bass player, and an investor, good luck on your IPO.
  10. nonorio@

Mar 26, 2006
    Mine installed inside my American Jazz Bass with bartolini pick up, sound so good , but if I keep the batteries inside will be dead after 2 weeks even it's unplug , I don't know if anyone have the same issue ?
  11. Incorrect. You want a 250k or 500k tone pot, parallel to the pickups. Using a 25k pot would mean having to place the tone control after the preamp. This creates two problems. Firstly, you can only use it in active mode, if there is an active/passive switch. Second, the signal after the preamp has been buffered, which means that the tone control cannot interact with the impedance of the pickups in the way that it is meant to.

Unless you meant bass and treble controls? In that case, a A25k/A25k stacked pot is required. EMG sells them.