Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About the Brice 6 String Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Eagle, Sep 27, 2004.

1. [​IMG]

Like this one, anyone know anything about them? I currently play Carvin 6 string Fretted basses (I have 2) and am looking for a lower cost alternative to the Carvin (and Carvin is really pretty darn reasonable) since I am not really a fretless player and won't have a whole lot of opportunity to play the fretless at gigs. I ran across this bass and thought it looked pretty nice.
    Anyone know anything about the electronics on the bass? How does the neck feel and does it stay reasonably straight?
    I am in the process of making a decision of which way to go... anyone? :confused:

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I'd have to respond by saying you get what you pay for. I just bought a Brice 5-string fretless, and I consider it to be an ok bass compared to my others. If you're unsure whether or not you'll like fretless, and you want an inexpensive bass that will do the job, you can't go wrong with the Brice's. The areas in which they compromise are:

* Hardware is often hard plastic instead of metal (i.e.- Pot knobs)
    * Pickups aren't the best
    * The bridge isn't the best.
    * Tuners aren't the best.

Overall, I was satisfied with my purchase.

-AJ

3. Thanks,

I am less unsure that I'll like it than I am that I'll use it that much. I know the quality I have gotten from Carvin over the years, which is top notch IMHO. I just don't know if I'll use a fretless enough to warrant spending a grand or more on a Carvin.

I was expecting that the Brice was a lower end bass compared to most others like Carvin or Conklin. But probably worth the $$$ comparatively. I was expecting that there were shortcuts and I was expecting them to be in the hardware and electronics... at least the quilt on top isn't photo like the Yamahas... according to Rondo...

4. Crud, now I'm really on the fence... maybe I should just buck up and get another Carvin and keep it all in the family. I found one in the Santa Ana store when I was down south a few months back that was an XB76FP, extended scale 6 string fretless with piezzo for $480 including a case! Why I didn't just snap it up I'll never know. :mad:

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    With the thinness of the veneer I've heard that the Rondo's have, I truly doubt that it makes a tonal difference whether it's a photo finish (which Yamaha doesn't hide) or a Rondo's "real" top. I think Rondo doesn't like the competition in the low-end market. :scowl:

As for the Brice, a friend of mine thought it would be a good deal for the money. He purchased one, had EMG 45's and a BTS electronics package professionally installed... and eBayed it not 6 months later at a substantial loss. The reason?

"However, the B string is not earning a lot of points with me. As you mentioned about another one, the C-D range just isn't there...no guts... damn, I paid more for the electronics alone to modify that six string Brice with all active EMG than I did for this bass (a Yahama RBX 775), and in comparison, the Brice is firewood with strings on it... "

It looks like I'm pimping Yamaha here, and I'm honestly not trying to. They do make excellent basses, but so do many other brands (Carvin certainly among them). I simply thing after upgrading what needs to be "fixed" on a Brice/Essex, you're spending as much as a "name brand" that's similarly equipped.

6. Thanks for the feedback, I knew it was a low end bass, and it is true (largely) you get what you pay for. My dilema was since I will unlikely play fretless much, was it worth the money.

I suppose if it is important enough to purchase a bass, I really need to buck up and get the quality I have purchased in the past. I'll just keep my eyes open for another Carvin, and if all else fails, I'll just order what I want from them. Really a Carvin is only about double what the Brice is and a known high quality product.
    The more I thought about it last night, I decided it would be better to spend the money and then if I really find I like playing fretless and use it ehough, then I won't have to buy the quality one and dump the "cheapie" for a loss. This way the worst that can happen is I end up selling a quality bass which will have much better resale.

I am however not a Yamaha fan and have never played one I liked... of course they were all at Guitar Center so they may not be the upper end ones. I'm not trashing them, just haven't run across one that tripped my trigger.

Thanks again...

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have the "V2" model, which is two generations old, they just ran out of them.

I pretty much agree with AJ Brown's sentiments. The V2 is a good looking, servicable bass. To my ears it sounds fine but I'm not much of a sound snob when it comes to hardware (I think 50% or more of the sound is in your fingers/technique). Mine needed a setup and new strings but once that was done it's proved to be a very playable, giggable, reliable musical instrument. I'd recommend a Brice as a first step into 6 string fretless territory.

I say buy it, but don't waste your money on upgrades. Do some searches here at talkbass, there are a lot of threads on this.

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    The only reason I won't buy one is that I'll likely pay way more for shipping than for the bass itself, for what it shows its a bargain, there are slammer p-copys selling for those prices here.

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I love My HXB the only problem i've had with it was the jack, but that was easily replacable.

10. I think I will keep my eye out for a Carvin next time I am down south (a few weeks away now) and if I can find a deal on a 6 string fretless like I saw last time and passed on, :mad: I'll snap it up.

If I can't find a Carvin on ebay reasonably priced or at the store that they are trying to blow out, I may order one of these Brice Basses... it is not my first choice however. I am very comfortable with the whole Carvin setup... electronics and overall quality. :D