Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About the Keeley

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Raman, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Regarding the Keeley Compressor, and the general dissatisfaction expressed about it in this thread.

-When I red all those opinions, since I'd recommended it on this forum I asked myself : "Could I have been so wrong ?".

So I went and did some tests. Because since I bought the comp, we moved to a (very cheap) basement room for rehearsing : One with particularly "reverby" accoustics. (Low ceiling; pipes everywhere; a big restaurant fridge metal door in the room, and more...)
    And I thought my sound was just desperately muddy anyway, because of that.

So I went alone and tested the pedal again. And I did find that the low B was indeed weaker and nasal with the comp on!
    I couldn't understand how that had gone by me for the last 2 years...

-Today though, because I also switched basses to the new EDA recently, I thought of trying it again with my old Axstar (BEAD) : the bass I played the most when I bought the comp.
    And the Keeley is perfect on it. -No problem on the B, which is tight-sounding, but still rich and full.

So I'm thinking, could it be because the EDA is active and the Axstar passive ?
    -Especially regarding the recent threads stating that effects were generally designed for passive pickups; and the Keely being designed for guitar (passive).

(I also find the G5 and DOD effects react better to the Axstar than to the EDA. -No difference with the Boss Delay or the SA, as expected.)

Anyways. -If it doesn't suit you, it doesn't suit you. I'm not saying otherwise. But I'm just thinking that could be it...
    -The sound in the lows is noticeably affected. But it's simply the harmonic range that's cut off.
    On the EDA, it seems to take more off. Almost as if it nulled the pup's bass amplification. On the Axstar (which is the bass with the most natural sustain I've ever tried), it leaves plenty of power to the note. But just keeps it from phasing, or acquiring any kind of reverb effect to the edges of the tone's harmonic range.
    That's what I was under the impression comps had to do... (Now I'm not so sure, and would like to compare with an EBS Multicomp.)

Just wondering...

(Incidently if that's so, it again confirms my appreciation that the EDA is a very well designed bass, and the magnetic-piezos idea excellent : but it deserves a hotter magnetic pup than the stock.)

My set up is :
    Axstar --> Keeley --> Looper --> SA Driver --> SD Amp
    ..................................|........................................
    ...........................G5/Delay/etc...............................