Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About the military

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vulcan`, Sep 19, 2002.

1. i need opinions on going to the army or not, im still 15 but i wanna plan ahead
    my cousin went to the military and loved it
    if i'm gonna go to an army it'd be the egyptian or german army
    so anyone can give me some advice on what to choose ?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    In what country do you live?

3. i live in egypt with both egyptian and german nationalities

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Go to the one you feel you owe more to. The one you feel that if you did go to war and died fighting for, you would be proud to say that you tried to defend it, and were able to help preserve the status and ideals of.

Peace
    Nick

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    In terms of strict self-interest, Germany is on a relatively stable continent and is constitutionally limited to using it's army only for defence. Egypt on the other hand is in a far more volatile geo-political situation. Being in Germany's army strikes me as a far less dangerous proposition at this time.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Good points Dan, but I would feel like such a tool if I served for a country because I knew I was safer there instead of the one I felt my loyalty to.

IMO of course, and this thread isnt about my opinion, so I guess you can disregard this post if youd like.

Im tired.

Peace
    Nick

7. Also, where do you want to live? Egypt or Germany? Have you ever considered another branch like the Air Force? You might enjoy that more than living in the mud as a grunt.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Interestingly enough, Germany is going through elections at the moment - I'm sure some of our German members can tell you more. But what I have picked up from European news channels is that it is very much about immigration as an issue - so one of the candidates seems to be standing on a platform of send all immigrants home and there was something about him getting a young Turkish boy back to Turkey even though he had been born in Germany!

This might have some bearing on the choice mentioned.....?

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah Germany has really screwed up immigration laws based on ethnicity. I'm in part descended from Germans, and even though I've never been there and don't speak a word of German, as I understand it I could get a German passport easier than those Turkish kids who were born there.:rolleyes:

I think Vulcan here would be OK since he's already got German nationality.

10. i think ive gotta go to the german army anyway, 'cause here in egypt you have to have a brother so he could "protect" the family from any harm or something (islamic rule: you cant go to war and leave your family behind with no protection)
    because during that time long ago when there were fights between moslems and jews, the jews won a battle and then went to the moslems houses and took everything (with all the men dead 'cause of the battle) it was a peace of cake, muhammed (our prophet) then told us not to go to war without the safety of our home first.
    In germany its okay for me to join the army(christians)
    and as mentioned before (i think) the german army have better training camps and so on
    here in egypt our survival training is as follows:
    a team of 5 is sent out to the desert for about a month with their AK-47's and a combat knife
    (for the elite team they send you out on your own :rolleyes: ) with that gear they should capture bugs snakes or anything they can eat to live on, to quench their thirst they drink water from an oasis (if they're lucky enough to find one) or from their victims (snakes etc.) blood......
    thats why egyptian soldiers are the toughest in the world
    i heard that somewhere in norway or sweden....
    nothing i made up
    i know some guys who went through that ****
    one of 'em coulnt go on 1 month so they called a chopper to bring him back
    thanks for replying
    oh and before i forget, the turkish aren't that beloved in germany because we already have 4.000.000+ people without jobs there and the turks are taking all of their jobs (i have a german sattelite dish here)

If anyone wants to know anything about islam or the mid-east just ask me :)

ciao