1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

About the Modern Player Jaguar Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Salamenster, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hi,

Altough I did a search, I still have some questions for those lucky enough to try/buy/play a Fender Modern Player Jaguar Bass...

1. Does the P-pickup sound like an actual P?

2. Does the two pickups together sound J-like, but with more bottom?

3. Does an J-style chrome F-ashtray fit that Hi Mass bridge?

4. Does anyone have good sound clips of them?

5. How is it with flats?

So if you have any answers, please share them!

Thx!

:hyper:

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ok,

Had it a couple of hours. I got mine used from GC I completely re-did the setup and I am very happy with the bass and the setup. Looks like it's still got the original Fender strings.

It has a great tone, it does sound like a P with extra bottom-end, or does a pretty good jazz as well.

The neck is well finished. The neck profile is more like an MiM 70's Jazz than a Geddy, (thicker front to back). No jagged fret ends, very clean overall.

It has good output. I don't think it will need new pickups. These sound good to me. I may re-do the electronics and it's got cheap knobs

Overall, I'm very happy with it. My initial opinion is this is my favorite P/J I've owned and would definitely buy it again.

I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.

Bob

4. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have one (that I modded a bit) that I LOVE, and it is currently My main player. All around awesome bass, and the quality to price ratio cant be beat.

5. Wow, thanks guys!

Its funny that the MiM 70's J is being mentioned, because that's another bass I'm looking at!

Wich one would you favor, Bobster. And why?

Thanks for all the cool info! I would love one with a F-style Jazz ashtray. ^^

6. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    My mp jag has become my go to bass. I think it sounds very much like a p bass. This beauty is like a p and a j, all in one, with a look of its own. I don't know much about koto, but it sure has good tone!

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Squier Classic Vibe bridge. Squier Vintage Modified jazz neck. Squier Vintage Modified Jag body. Fender logo. The Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified basses are stellar.

Of course it sounds good :D

8. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I had a vm jag, the mp is a superior instrument!

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi fenderhutz,

That's the second time you've made that joke, I saw it in another thread.

To clarify here are the differences that I'm aware of:

The Modern Player is made in China, the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s is made in Indonesia.

Modern Player has un-marked pickups, Vintage Modified pickups are "Duncan Designed"

Modern Player neck vs Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s neck - different finish, different fretwire, no binding on MP, possibly different thickness at nut.

Modern Player body vs Vintage Modified Jaguar body - MP Koto, VM Agathis, pickup routing different (P pickup in different position) Pickguards not interchangable.

Same bridge, could be. I wouldn't be surprised if the control plate, pots and knobs were the same.

I'll measure the neck thickness next time I change strings. The MP Jaguar feels a whole lot like the Geddy Lee I had, with a thicker neck which is perfect for me. It's got that slick glossy feel.

Salamenster,

Personally I'd pick this one for a couple of reasons:

1. I owned a 70's Classic MiM and had to have the neck replaced under warranty (but that was probably just bad luck) I'm personally a little gun shy.

2. I prefer maple necks to rosewood fretboards

3. I prefer P/J configuration to JJ

Bob

10. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The Fender Modern player is a completely different bass than the Squier. I have owned both, and about the only thing that they have in common is the shape of the body.

11. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    The balance on the mp is perfect and it weighs a lot more than the squier.

12. xthecaptainx

xthecaptainx

Aug 18, 2012
    does anybody know the difference between the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s and the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '77s?