Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABOUT THE TRABEN PHOENIX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joey_three, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    HI im considering buying the traben phoenix 4 and i want people's opinion on it (on the websites they always have good reviews for any product so there is no point in looking to that for help).If you have any other suggestions for about $700 or less please tell me..

Thanx :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just cant take this brand seriously, i dont know why.That bridge.

I think for that price , get a Lakland 44-01 or 55-01.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    FOR 700 I THINK YOU SHOULD GET A MUSICMAN SUB OR A USED STINGRAY. TRABENS SOUND TERRIBLE, IMO, AND THE QUALITY ISN'T ALL TOO GREAT FROM WHAT I'VE TRIED. :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What's with the caps :p. +1 on the stingray, -1 on the SUB :-D.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whafrodamus, I'll argue your argument, a SUB is a great bass for the money or any price range. They can be had between $400-500 used and are a phenominal deal if you purchase the active model. But, yes, one more vote for the used Stingray or Sterling or a SUB or SUB Sterling. EBMM makes the best new basses under $1000 IMO.

6. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    if you play metal go for the ESP Tom Araya signature. i've played a couple and they really have a great growl to them, imo

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well for 700 there are definitely better basses to be had. I played one for like 30 seconds once, and thats all it took for me to know that these basses aren't cuttin it. There are tons of great basses in that price range, but I wouldn't want to recommend anything to you without knowing what kind of music you play and so forth.

8. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    well i play all kinds. punk,funk and heavy.. if u can suggest a bass for all those three please tell me...

p.s are ashdown bass amps good??

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown are great.

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Eh, all the ones I've played were horrid. I enjoyed OLP's more than SUBs. The finish is icky, and the sound is a little too.. metallic. It's not as warm or full as the stingrays, sterlings, and OLP's that I've played.

11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

NICE! That makes me think of the blues brothers, when there at bob's country bunker, and the bar lady says "We have both kinds - Country and Western". Can I put that in my sig?

But anyways, these guys have been pointing you in the right direction with the MM suggestions. That's probly what I would look at if I were playing those styles.

12. Very Heavy basses.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    don't forget Spector. Legends are great. I think you could get a used (or maybe even new, I don't really know what they go for) rebop. Good luck. Carvin is also an option

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Are you averse to buying used? If not, then you can get a nice higher-end bass secondhand. There is a possibility of even getting some German Warwicks secondhand for the $700. Used Carvins can be had for prices around there, I believe.

Otherwise, if you're looking new, I'd go with a Spector Legend or maybe an ESP B404LTD. I was considering getting an ESP B405LTD for a good while. If you want something more metal looking, ESP F-series. It looks metal while still being ergonomic, unlike the pointy BC Rich Warlock. Peavey's Fury line is excellent.

15. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Everyone said Trabens are heavy so when I got mine I was expecting it to pull me down... It's heavier than a P-bass, but it's not gonna kill you if you get a wide strap, about 3" should do the trick. Mine's very punchy with very hot electronics. Sounds perfect really but it's too hot for my current amp. Grover machine heads, beautiful finish, 35" scale length... Really good bass for the money. Build quality is almost perfect, incredible for a Korean made bass. Mine came routed with gromets for a string-thru body, but the strings can also be fed through the bridge normally if your strings aren't long enough. 2 tone mother of pearl flame inlays on the neck, absolotely stunning - I get alot of compliments about it.
    I dunno about prices in the USA, but over here in the UK this was pretty cheap in the scheme of things, just under what a second hand mex P-bass standard would cost. I got it imported from USA with hardcase for about £350 brand new.
    I have to say, I'm absolotely loving this bass... It might not look right for old-school funk bassists, but the 3 band active EQ lets you get a relatively old-school sound. No matter what you've got the EQ set to though it sounds fantastic for slapping, just like Flea's old Musicman. The single coil is just right, but the humbucker's a bit too hot for my amp.
    All in all I'd say this bass is definitely worth buying if you're into modern funk, metal, punk or classic rock. It's a tad heavy but not too big and the balance is pretty good.

16. Bravo for listening with your ears instead of your eyes. I can't believe the constant put-downs that Traben gets on TalkBass just because they look radical.

I own a Traben, and I'm a 44-year old man playing dive bars with a classic rock cover band. It might look out of place to some folks, but I get nothing but compliments on mine. And several people say Trabens are heavy but mine is light as a feather.

I'm not denying that there are bad examples of Trabens out there with blah tone, poor action, and heavy wood. But the vast majority of TBers should recognize that there are also Trabens out there like mine (and, apparently, Techmonkey's) that are light, resonant, responsive, and toneful. Not to mention damn good deals.

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I was thinking along the same lines, but didn't think of the Blues Brothers reference until you pointed it out. That's brilliant. :bassist:

18. Bassman41

Bassman41

Jun 15, 2007
    I just bought the Traben 5 string and it is by far the best bass I've ever played.
    My next purchase will be a Traben 4 Phoenix!
    As soon as I can justify buying a 5th bass. :):bassist:

19. Philip Curtis

Philip Curtis

Jun 16, 2008
    The Traben Neo Limited Spalted Maple is an affordable bass, and the look is not so radical. I bought mine on Ebay for $449. Well made for a Korean bass. I prefer it over my Korean Spector. This bass is definitely for Funk applications. The stock strings on mine were GHS Boomers. They suck. I swapped them for Fedora Diamond series and the bass sounds like a Steinway now. Similar to Anthony Jackson's sound. Soon I will swap out the pickups and electronics, but I'm not sure what to swap them for. Any suggestions? Keep in mind, this is primarily for funk/slap. I also play fretless finger funk, so at some point I may pull the frets. Not sure why, but I always end up pulling the frets out of my basses and epoxying the fingerboard. Anyways, the pickups are soapbox. Pots are volume, fader, treble, mid, bass. Here's a link http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traben-Neo-Custom-5-5-String-Bass-512055-i1147530.gc
    Any help would be appreciated.