Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About the transducers in the hyperbass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Tecx, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hello Michael

I just recently found out that your hyperbass has a inner-body transducer system. For the last year I have been contimplating installing a series of transducers in the body of one of my basses, one by the neck joint, and another by the bridge...

I was blown away that your bass already had something simalar (I especialy love the idea of having one in the headstock, if only I could mod mine for that!). I foolishly had thought that I had come up with a new idea, but you beat me to the punch... :smug:

The reason I have been thinking about this modification is to help translate the acoustics of my bass with regards to my more avant garde electro-acoustic techniques and methods. Is my purpose similar to your system of transducers in the hyperbass?.. Also I would love to see some pictured of the controls / output section of you hyperbass with the transducers (I have looked for some and have found non).

cheers, and thanks.

Alex

ps. You really need to get up here and play canada (preferably the east coast ;))
    pps. your artist link on the zon site is down.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What's a transducer :p?

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Alex,

I love having the body transducers in the Hyperbass! My motivation for including them was to have access to different perspectives on the sound of the instrument. I’m interested in trying to expand the expressive scope of the bass and having the body transducers allows me to do that not only by offering an alternative sound source as an addition to the magnetic signal, but also by making the body part of the playing surface of the instrument.

Here is a picture of the two output jacks, ¼” mono and multi-channel Lemo. In the picture the Lemo jack is connected to its breakout box with four ¼” outputs from the magnetic pickup and one from the body transducers.

Attached Files:

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thank you Michael!!! I can't wait to build a new bass with some transducers in it... I also "play the body" a lot... Also my bow annd prepared work will benifit a lot!!! One day I would love to own a hyperbass as well ;)

cheers

Alex