1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

About the Tung basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Jan 24, 2001.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Hi!guy!Anyone know the Tung bass?The bass that the bassist of Dream Theater John Myung used before.I love the shape of body and the sound of that bass. It's really cool. The finish is great also.I know this bass is custom bulid by Nicholas Tung. So anyone know how to contact him? if you guy know any informations of this bass.plz tell me more!Thanks!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Nicholas Tung has quit his bass-building business, AFAIK. He didn't make a lot of them, so great luck and a big wallet is needed if you're out to buy one.
    I agree, the sound Myung got from that bass is cool indeed.

3. I didn't realize he used to use a different bass than Yamaha. Anyone got a pic?

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    JM has used Fender P-basses, Ernie Ball Musicman Stingrays, Tobias 6-strings, Tung Wing 6-strings, and his signature Yamaha as well as a fretless TRB and a Grand Stick. I know I've left a few out, but those are the ones I can remember :D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Don't forget the fretted TRB (FII) and the 4-string Spector (Images & Words). There is yet another one, a fretless 6-string he recorded "The Silent Man" with, a bass that he borrowed from someone (I think he didn't own a fretless himself).
    Where/when did he use the Fender P?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The first link that Brad put up mentions that he was indeed one of Michael Tobias's primary bass builders; so maybe if you get a pre-Gibson Tobias, then it is in fact a "Tung" bass? ;) I think John Turner mentioned that he saw John Myung using a Tobias 6 a lot at a DT show, as well as the Tung bass.

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, after playing the spector, he switched to a tobias basic 6....a red one...

9. Very Interesting! Why do you guys think he settled on the Yammi? I saw them live recently, and I could hardly hear the bass. I was on the wrong side, but it sounded very muddy. Almost like he didn't care. If I was JM, I'd have custom basses hanging from my Christmas tree. I'd probably have one implanted and attached to my hip. I'd have a bass car. My girlfriend would look more like a bass.

Dunno, I don't get it.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Can you say "endorsement"?

11. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    He played the P early on in Majesty and a little in DT

12. To ROCKBOBMEL. How often have you been to a concert where you COULD hear the bass well? I cant think of many. It's not JM's fault, it's the freaking soundman's. It seems to be a requirement for a diploma in live sound engineering, that you learn how to spend hours getting an awesome drum sound, and 15 seconds getting the most mediocre sound you possibly can. Even huge acts like the Stones suffer this problem.

13. We are a real "taken for granted" lot it seems. My drummer is the sound man, and I get the same treatment. We need recognition.! I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!
    Maybe I'll ask the band if I can sit a few songs out next gig. They probably wouldn't notice a big difference.