About to bail on my Ibanez BTB 515

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkateer, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I've had the bass since July and am crossing over from 30 years of classical guitar playing. I originally thought that the fifth string would eliminate a lot of awkward position shifts, but in practice I find that the need for long scale to get decent tone, plus the additional right hand damping requirements, coupled with the fact that I have small hands, makes the thing harder to play, especially in the low positions. The other thing is that I am not a tone tinkerer by disposition, and having to deal with two mid freq eqs, one on the bass, and on on the amp is more of a distraction from the real business of playing than an aid to achieving golden tone.

So I think I'm looking for a 4 string, normal scale instrument, probably 2 pickups, with simple bass/treble/blend controls, thin neck (despite its width, the BTB's neck felt good to me). I'm confused by all of the different Fender models, and most have some kind of mid boost/cut anyway. Any suggestions, Fender or otherwise? Not sure about active or passive, although I like the idea of no batteries. $2k or less.

Also, I guess I'm going to sell the BTB. Its list was ~$1300, and it was available in local stores for ~$900. What would be a reasonable price. It is in immaculate condition and is only 3 months old.