Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

about to be sacked from my band, what to do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by factorplayer, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Got the call tonight - bandleader says it's not working out.

I want it to work out. We agreed to talk some later but that's about it. Crap.

2. What to do?
    Find out why it is not working out.
    Take it as constructive criticism.
    Learn from it.
    Work on the issues. Woodshed a while.
    Then find a band that wants you.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Punch them in the face. All of them.

5. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    pretty much sums it up... could be an attitude thing... you think you did anything to throw up a red flag of having a bad attitude?

6. Listen to the concerns with an open mind. Be objective. If you think BL has a point, admit it and pledge to work on it. If you think there is some nit-picky personality issue that you can't control without being someone's whipping boy or prostitute, suck it up and walk like a man.

7. Cool, thanks for the input. I certainly do a have clue about the root issues but some are unexpected. It's good to have a bit of a sounding board before jumping in.

8. If it looks like you are leaving, then keep cool and don't burn any bridges. Also make sure to get contact information of the other band members. Maybe start a project with some of them down the road.

9. Yeah, don't burn any bridges. Stay on good terms. For all you know, some time down the road they may want you back, or they may recommend you to another band that is a better fit.

10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Move on and just get better and better.

11. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento California
    Factor:

Congrats!

Be thankful you finally got rid of that dead wood!

Now you can move on and hook up with some musicians who are normal and who will actually accomplish something.

12. +1 Exact thing happened to me, a band I started with wanted to try someone else, the pianist had issues with every one, later the band split up and the drummer contacted me and we worked together for many years with various gigs and functions. What may seem like a joint band decision could also be one persons influence, as already said other members may still want to work with you. Build as many contacts as you can and try always to be someone that people enjoy working with, that's more than just being a door mat it's knowing you parts, being on time, having your gear organized and having a pleasant attitude.
    Best of luck with this, the fact that you wrote in to get advice means you care about what you do.

13. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    Disclosures:
    student
    Hasn't happened yet, I hope I can avoid it, what is the problem?

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

+1 to not burning bridges. Woodshed and improve your playing, make every effort to be the most professional guy around in every sense of the word, and go find a new band. Make yourself the bassist that these guys will later say, proudly but wistfully, "Yeah, he used to play with us..."

15. At least they are telling you and are willing to talk.

16. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    May not be your fault. Many years ago I got canned from a band, I was in for a month, where I thought things were going well. The BL had fired many iterations of his band, except the drummer. Drummer got tired of going over same tunes with new guys. So he issued the ultimatum to the BL to bring back certain guys, or he was out. Nice guys, no hard feelings... was just the way it goes.

17. This, as opposed to being booted by txt.

Listen to the feedback but don't beg and plead to be retained. It's unbecoming and if you have to work hard to persuade them not to ax you, it's probably not a good fit.

+1 to don't burn bridges. Be gracious; if someone's going to be a d-head, let it be the other guy. Learn from the experience, move on to greater things.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Make sure you got all your stuff out of there. Did you lend anyone anything? GET IT OUT OF THERE!

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Find out what's wrong, be truthful, no BS and move on.
    Bands have a constant turnaround of members.
    Don't get caught up in negativity.
    Concentrate on music.
    This is a tough business.

20. jchetro

jchetro

Dec 26, 2013
    couldn't agree more with these posts. Don't let a band be your identity, yet let it be your practice, passion for music, and desire to get better. Just don't be reactive instead be receptive and walk away with the goal of getting better at your art and being one step away from finding a better situation