Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

about to become sleep deprived...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah, so here I go - I'm just starting the first of a double shift. I worked a normal day shift yesterday (on about 4 hrs sleep) went home and got there at about 7:00 - had to leave for work at 12:00, had things to do so I didn't get any sleep at all... I'm not really tired just yet (it's just after 2 AM) ...but I have a feeling I'll be hurting by the end of the second shift (15 hours from now)
    I've got coffee, doughnuts and heavy metal music to help keep me awake. I figure I'll do some sort of exercise every so often to keep my blood moving and maybe get an adrenalin boost. Any other suggestions to help stay awake?

2. On the average week night I have been getting about 5 1/2 hours of sleep :)

3. definately do something fast paced, like riding a bike fast or something (dont drive a car too fast, it will have dire consequences). For example, I was on a band trip to go to Disney World, on the bus ride i got about a total of 3 hours of sleep, no naps during the day. So whenever i got the least bit drowsy, my group and I would go ride a rollarcoaster, and i was good to not get sleepy for another 3 hours. Adreniline. That keeps you awake

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ouch, don't you have a two hour commute?

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a friend who once stayed up for a considerable amount of time. (It was like 100 hours with only 20 minute of sleep or something like that)

His circadian rythm was messed up for over a year.

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yikes - I hope I don't end up like your friend LM...
    It's been all about the naps - I managed to get 2 naps, about 20 minutes each, during my hoot owl shift and I just got a whopping hour long nap on my lunch break.

...and canopener, you are correct - my regular commute is about 2 hours, although being that it's a weekend and there is little traffic, it only takes about 1:45 :meh:

...oh and we got off to a bad start as far as production goes on that hoot owl this morning, so right now I am making the decision to keep this crew working one more hour today - which is that last thing I want to do, but it's the right thing.

Time for me to transfer this desk phone to my cell and go get a burger then see if I can sneek in one more nap before the next disaster...
    :help: