1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

about to buy a MIM precision, comments please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chickenJames, Nov 1, 2013.

1. as per this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/2nd-bass-recommendations-1023945/

I'm looking for a 2nd bass, I think I've found it, but would appreciate some comments before I pile in and buy it.

So, I have a Spector Legend 5, very happy with it, looking for something complementary: simple, passive, classic, great sound

I started off wanting a J, and tried loads, but last weekend I found a used MIM P. This is the first Fender I've played that 'clicked' for me. It seems to have a sort of 'ping'/'chime' at the beginning of each note and I've not heard the same from anything else I've played.
    I tried a new MIM P today and it was just, OK.
    I tried a load of J's as well: Squier classic vibe, MIM J, Modern Player J. Easily the best was the MIM, but it still didn't have the sound of the 2nd hand MIM P.

So, this is what I'm thinking of buying
    MIM Precision, wine red, white pickguard, rosewood neck. It's got a few minor scrapes on the paint, which doesn't bother me at all. I think it's about 2003-2006.
    I'm in the UK. New prices are like this
    MIM J £565, MP J £400, MIM P £480. US Special P £750ish, US Standard P about £1100. Top end Squiers are about £300.
    This 2nd hand MIM P is up for £375.

Sounds like a sensible deal? what would you do? what else should I be looking at? There don't seem to be many 2nd hand P's in the shops near me (I live near Marlborough). I don't want to buy anything on ebay because I would need to try before I bought.
    I haven't done anything about checking the serial number, do I need to do this?

thanks for ideas

2. All MIA and MIM Fenders are hit or miss. If you've found a MIM P that "Pings" for you, go for it! I love the Red/Rosewood combo on Ps, and I would look at getting a tortoise pickguard for it. But that's me.

I would say I'm biased towards a P bass, especially if your looking for a simple classic sound. £375 (about $600 USD) is not a bad deal, not the best I've seen, but not a bad deal at all. Are you able to talk them down at all?

3. OneAri

OneAri

Jan 1, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Talking them down is clearly the best way to go if you're after that particular bass (as mentioned) have you considered something like a Highway One P-Bass?

Last one I saw went on ebay for £450- MIA, Nitro, Custom Shop Trans Blonde (someone correct me if that's wrong)
    But then I bought an H1Jazz last month so I'm obviously biased :D:bag:

4. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    If you like it and have the money then definitely buy it. My FrankenFender started out as the same bass. I added an 80's Jazz Bass Special neck, a black PG, and black Gotoh bridge. The electronics are stock and sound awesome. Here's a pic.

SDC10521_zps53885b26.

5. There are a couple of things I am starting to believe.

1. In this area of world, we are Music Store Blessed. Stores are abundant, within 30 minutes travel time (from my work location) I can be at 4 GC’s, 5 or more used stores, and a multitude of pawn shops.

2. If a MIM/MIA/MIJ/Who Knows/Who Cares, P/J/PJ/Active/Passive/whatever, speaks to a player, well then they ought to have it.

6. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Hi James...

A while ago I bought a 2002 MIM P Bass blind off the bay.

I was half expecting to get a lemon... turned out to be a mighty fine bass.

7. That has happened for me four times (six if you count the two guitars) buying online. I got very lucky.

8. I'm searching for the same thing. I've got a 2004 MIM Jazz Bass, and I love it. I'd like to have a matching P Bass. Pick it up! It would be pricey over here, but it seems like a good value across the pond.

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have 2 MIM both played well right out of the box

10. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    The price is on the high end for a used MIM with paint damage, but not unreasonable. Try to talk then down a bit, but if you like it, grab it. As others have said, Fenders can be hit or miss, so when you find a good one you have to pounce!

FWIW, a good MIM P is an Excellent platform for upgrades. For about $125 USD you can replace the pups, pots and bridge and have a great bass. I had one MIM P with a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder and gotoh 201 bridge that was magnificent for rock, metal or punk--better than my stock MIA !

11. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    welp, that settles it, im moving to Minnesota. lemme outa this Podunk musicless hellhole of NC!!! well I guess im more fortunate than some... an hour to a gc with walls of squier vm jags, or a sam ash with the same jags and loads of esp ltd's I could care less about. Oh, plus the one geddy on the top shelf :p

oh ok back on track. instruments, no matter the name on the headstock, cost, color, origin, or any other stupid factor, are case by case. You will never find 2 that play or sound the same, and if one calls out to you, well that's more than some may ever find. Take advantage of your opportunities. Its a lot better to regret having a mediocre bass, than to regret never having a special bass.

12. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    This

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I like the MIM Standard Jazz's for a bit of variety ... with their ceramic pups, they offer a bit different voicing than all the others I have with alnico pups ... 'ping' to me almost sounds like string choice and set-up though ... JMHO

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Agreed! See if you can find out exactly what brand/guage strings are on it, as those particular strings may be part of the magic of that instrument right now. They just WORK with that bass.

I'd hate to see you switch strings and lose the sound factor that led you to buy that bass.

15. thanks guys, this is what I needed :). I'll report back tomorrow, probably with photos. I don't think the paint damage is very bad and honestly for me it's almost an advantage. I'll see if I can get them to chuck in some strings or a gig bag.

M.R.Ogle, thanks for the tip about the strings, I hadn't thought of that. Usually I just put light d'Addarios on, and but I'll see if I can work out what's on there right now.

Agent 77 yes, that's the same colour

Going to bed now, wish me luck for tomorrow!

16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Price does seem a tad high. I see them here in the colonies regularly for between $225-$350 used. (UK $400?) I just dropped $340 for one here that turned out to be a real sweetie. If it's speaking to ya, best be listenin'... ;-)

17. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Looks like you're intending to be an 'opposite me' :D
    I've got a Legend Custom 4 and I'm about to buy a Precision 5.

Seriously. I love to buy instruments second hand. I think if you like the one you've found best then no more consideration is required.

18. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    My 2000 MIM P (Midnight Blue) bass showed up looking like it had never been out of the case since new. That bass is excellent in every way. I paid $200 U.S. in a music store (Wow!), and the numbered knobs were replaced with chrome domes. :D

Attached Files:

19. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Beautiful midnight blue P, Staccato. Every once in a while, an NOS turn-of-the-century MIM P or J will surface in midnight blue, midnight wine or sage green metallic. Almost sets my heart aflutter.

20. Jerryr63

Jerryr63

Feb 10, 2010
    Staccato.

That blue is gorgeous..... very nice bass!!