1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

About to buy a used USA 62' Reissue Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RMay, Aug 23, 2007.

1. How can i justify having two great jazz basses? I am about to purchase a used 91' Lake Placid Blue 62' Jazz bass Reissue, dated July of 1991, with painted headstock at a cheap price. It sounds and plays incredible.
    I already own a 98' American Standard Jazz with CS 60's pickups. It's a great sounding, playing bass. It has sentimental value, a wonderful sound to my ears, I cant bear the thought to get rid of it. I can afford to keep both jazz basses but why?

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I feel ya, I'm in the same position. I've got several great Jazz basses but can't bear to sell any of them to thin the herd.

3. i am afraid this could be the beginning of GAS. I am a firm believer in "one jazz, one p-bass, and a MM stringray is all ya need in your arsenal".
    I'm confused.

4. If you can afford it, do it!;)

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Put flats on one and tell yourself you absolutely need a J with flats and a J with rounds.

Works for me.

6. There's your answer right there. :cool:

Mike

7. That may work for me. He's bringing the bass to my house this evening or meet halfway.
    This bass has a Bartolini TCT pre-amp installed but he has the original hardware and original wiring. The preamp replaces the existing pots. The body was not routed. includes original case goodies and case.
    i'll sell the Bartolini TCT pre-amp .

8. What do you mean below $900?

I'd say $900 is a fair price, considering new ones go for about $1,400 new. www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-US-Vintage-62-Jazz-Bass?sku=510250

If you can sell the Bart preamp, that's gravy for you.

What kind of condition is the bass in?

Mike

9. Tune the US standard to B and keep the reissue in standard

10. At the price of what a used American Standard Jazz sells for now.

I'll be able to accurately describe to you the condition when i inspect further. At first, it appeared in excellent condition minus the original hardware.

11. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    How in the world can you justify two jazzes...

sheesh!.

These are mine ;)

jazzes2.

12. Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm feeling better about the deal.:D

13. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    And I feel good about it too since I suspect you are buying the bass I was trying NOT to buy! :ninja:

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well thats what I used to think. Now I have 3 Jazzes, 3 Precisions, and 5 StingRays. :rolleyes:

Give into GAS...there's no avoiding it, just satisfly it. ;)

15. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I saw that bass. Looked pretty nice but the price seemed a bit high with the changes. It was hard to tell from the pics, was it a stacked knob or three knob?

16. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I'm saving up to do this now. ;) I have flats on my one J and I love it. I need another one now for some rounds. Can never have to many Js :hyper:

17. It was originally a stacked knob.

The bass was a bummer, simple. The seller said the body wasnt routed. I took the pickguard off and hello!...there was a battery cavity under the pickguard :rollno: :scowl: :mad: :spit: . I was mislead, not intentionally, and no less disappointed. He has the original pickups and pots, but the additional route killed the deal.

No worries...I'll continue searching for used USA reissue. I really like the feel of the neck.

18. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    RMAY we must be neighbors, I'm in littleton too. PM me I'm playing the Englewood Fun Fest on Sat.

19. PM sent

20. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Ok I wont but that one then. ;)

Hey there is a nice burst 62 RI on Denver craigslist looks like new but its a bit pricey. Its on ebay too. Yet another I am trying not to buy...