Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

about to do some upgrading -

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Apr 8, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so here are my plans for my SSII soon, i need some advice (not sure which forum this belongs in more)

brass nut - i like the adjustability of the Just-a-nut I, but is there any sonic advantage to just getting a solid hunk-o-brass made?

speed ramp between the pickups - where is a good place to get a lump of ebony or afzelia? i know since the bass is curved it will be a bizatch, but i'll get it to work ;)

and in the not so distant future - U-Retro Deluxe preamp. but i want the knobs to look like fodera knobs - the black ridgy ones. any idea where to get them or something similar? (or should i keep the gold knobs?)

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Warwick5S,
    I can appreciate that you want to upgrade, as it's human nature to do so. Streamer Stage II's are one bitchen bass. I play a Stage I and am in love with it. I once had a 66 GTO that I put 3 deuce carbs on, and it never ran right after that. Hope it works out for you. JMO.
    Doc

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Dude, you have a killer bass. You can get a Warwick Brass nut that will make it better, but I wouldn't screw with it any more than that. The SSII kicks ass right out of the whomb.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i had a vintage jazz a while back that i bought with a brass nut on it. when i got it i noticed how bright and punchy the open notes sounded. however, it wasnt exactly apropriate on that bass so i had a bone nut installed. it then sounded like any other bass after that. so, if thats what your looking for in the open notes then by all means get that hunk of brass.

might as well try the u retro too. it cant hurt

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well - here's my reasoning:

the nut? the just-a-nut 2 sucks my butt. it's bowing in the middle under the A string, which causes all sorts of wierd setup stuff.

the speed ramp? because i like playing over the pickups, and i want more places i can do so. plus it'd be affixed with double sided tape so i could always take it off.

the u-retro is the thing that i'm not 100% sure about right now, but my reasoning is that the warwick pre is too unreliable and noisy for me. the sucky part about the u-retro is that i'd have to drill 2 holes for the switches, but i'm starting to do more recording sessions now so since i only have the SSII and my sterling, it'd be nice to add more versatility and reduce noise. plus it's pretty much universally agreed upon that the electronics in the bass are not on par with the quality of the rest of the bass, and that the u/j-retro is the most powerful pre on the market right now.

and i'd like the black fodera-esque knobs because all the really high end basses have black knobs w/gold hardware ;)

i dunno tho - it'd be $300 for the preamp if i DO end up getting gold knobs. we'll see...there's some time before i actually have the bread to accomplish such a feat.

thanks for the input!

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if you dont want to drill holes you can leave the switches in the cavity

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh, it's just a couple of holes. Smallish ones too. Just drop in some wood plugs if it goes wrong. If you ask me, I'd do it.

...c'mon, ask me! :D

I agree the Just a Nut II is a piece of monkey doo, and I'd get it replaced with a brass one as well if I ever sunk my teeth into a Thumb...or else find one of the older, Just A Nut and wenge, crap, I'm drooling again...