Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

about to get a Peavey Megabass head.. is it my best option?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tolas, Apr 27, 2005.

1. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    I currently have a Roland DB-700 that has just broke down on me for the second time. It was just barely cutting it volume wise as well, so I'm looking to get a nice head/cab setup.

I don't have much to spend on the head. I'm looking in the $300 range. What i like about the MegaBass is the biamp feature where i can go two channels at 200watts 4ohms. I think this will give me a lot of cabinet options. I read that i the megabass is basically a powerfull PA amp with a decent bass preamp.

I will probable also end up using my rig for keyboard/synth/noise sounds, and possibly guitar as well. My bass tone now is usually pretty clean, and I play with the treble nearly all the way down, and some chorus on there. I play in a progressive rock/ambient metal band.

Is the megabass the best choice in my price range? Should I pick it over a newer (cheap) ashdown or GK head? Any other options in my price range. I'd like to get something used with a little more character.

Also, any recommendations on cab setups/brands to get a nice deep bass tone, but still working well with synth and guitar?

thanks

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I used to have that amp and could get some good sounds and volume out of it.....so long as I was using enough cabs to draw full power.
    Had two 15's and two 10's.........sounded awesome.

Sometime use one with an SVTcab at rehearsal.
    Sounds fine until that DDT compression/ limiter keeps kicking in and squashing the sound.
    Very annoying...if you play LOUD with one 4 ohm cabinet.
    They are cheap though ;)
    Murphy

3. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    There are a bunch of amps in that price range

Asdown Mag300
    GK Backline 600 <- My pick

you could also look for a used amp..

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I owned one for a few years and found to be more than loud enough. Tone was fine and there was lots of headroom.

Too me it sounded better when I ran it bridged rather than bi-amped. It was driving my Peavey 410TX and Peavey BW-115 cabs back then (15 yrs ago).

I ended up trading it for a Peavey Mk-VIII.

TD

:cool:

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I never thought I would say this.... a behringer may be a good cheap option...

6. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005

I looked into the Behringer BX3000T and it looks pretty nice for the price. If only it wasn't for that name... almost as bad as peavey :) .

Is the BX3000T a clone of the ashdown heads? If so, would something like the ashdown MAG300 be better?

Am I better off looking for something like and Ampeg SVT200 head used?

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Such anti Peavey bias.:rollno:

The Megabass was a decent head for the money back when it was new. I would take it over the GK Backline 600 or the Behringer in a heartbeat. I would also pick it over the MAG 300, but I wouldn't take it over the more powerful Ashdown heads.

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I used to have four Peavey CS800 power amps mounted in a rack that stood about four feet tall. The rack was sitting near the back of a stage that was about six feet high. Later that evening, the rack tipped over backwards and landed on the cement floor behind the stage. The rack was busted open and some of the cords were ripped out of their jacks, But the Peaveys were picked up, stacked up, and hooked up in about five minutes. and they put out like nothing had ever happened. Those same power amps were sold years later and are probably still in use today. Not only is Peavey one of your options, it may be the smart choice for you ;)

9. sorry to derail a little, but can someone post a picture of this amp? ive never seen one and have just searched on google, cant find any pics

10. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with the Bassman 400, but it has gotten a lot of good press here and on other sites.

12. I am a huge fan of peavey bass stuff. I have had a few of their amps and cabs and I have had no problem with them and they are nearly indistructable. Ive heard storys of people dropping peavey heads off of a 2nd story landing and pluging it in that night and playing their show. Although they dont have the tone or class of something like ampeg or GK they are hard to beet for price and dependablility.

13. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'd look around a little more....make a few phone calls. I bought a brand new Peavey Nitrobass (450 watts @ 2 ohms, 300 watts @ 4 ohms) and a Peavey 2x10tvx for $300.....Not $300 each, $300 for both. I paid $279 for a Peavey 1x15 bvx and completed the rig. It's big and heavy but it was inexpensive and I like how "useable" the eq is. I am more than satisfied with the tone. Keep looking......deals are out there

14. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I had the Megabass for about 7 years. Decent amp. One cool thing was the built in chorus. It only effected one of the amps. I was running it into a 1x15 and a 4x10. Sent the chorused signal into the 4x10 and kept the 15 clean for a full bottom. And yes, Peaveys are tough to kill. My drummer used a PV combo for a kick drum monitor. We were unloading the trailer at one gig. The drummer pulled the van away, unaware that the trailer was still opene, and that his PV TNT 115 was still in it. It proceded to do a few somersaults out the back. It's still working today, and that was a good 5 years ago.

15. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    I'll echo what others have said about Peavey gear. I have had (and still do have) a ton of Peavey gear. Over the last 12 years, I've had a Mark 8 head, 410TX, 115BW, BAM210, DTH218 dual 18" subs, SP-2 PA cabs (must be a good 25 years old...), CS1000X, PV2000, and other various items. Not only is the tone usable (and even good, if you set it up right...) but the stuff is bulletproof. Out of all of that gear, I haven't sent a single piece in for repair. And the bass gear has been used daily for the last 12 years, toured, dropped, abused and keeps right on going. I also have a B-quad 4 fretted and B-quad 5 fretless bass. The 4 I've owned for about 11 years now... the 5 I picked up about 2 months ago. Couldn't be more pleased, overall. Yes, there is better tone out there. Although the BAM210 is probably the most kickin' 210 combo I've ever played, and I've played almost all of them! Obviously this is my opinion, and everyone's ears are different... but there is something to be said for gear that just plain lasts.