1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

About to get my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Holy War, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    hey guys, Ive been playin guitar for about 6 years now and have been bitten by the bas bug. I normally post over at Harmony Central and Rig Talk, but I know this is the place where people come to talk bass. Anyways, I am a hard rock metal guy and am playing in a death metal band right now. I am buying the bass because I want to start my own thrash metal project. Ok enough about me....

What I want is Fender American P Bass. I know a guy that I am going to trade one of my guitars with for an American 08 Deluxe P Bass. Because Im new at this, I figured a P Bass is a good place to start, that, and I cant really get ahold of a Ric 4003. I work at a very large independant music retail store on the east coast and have been playing just about every bass we have in stock: roscoe, esp, fender, ibanez etc. I really like the sound of the P Bass

My question is, is if the Deluxe is really worth getting over a regular P Bass. What are the tonal differences between the two, and most importantly, can it pull off the type of music that I want to do. If anyone is interested, heres a pic of the bass I in question...

file-2.
    file-1.
    file.

2. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    what i really originally wanted, and the bass i have in stock at my store, is this:

019046270000X.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    It's gonna give you a very wide assortment of sounds. I'd say a very good start.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

As far as I'm concerned, the Deluxe is more helpful because you get the same P-bass with the bonus of a Humbucker at the bridge. Why limit yourself when You can get more. The two P's will sound essentially the same as far as I'm concerned.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    You've come to the right place :)

For playing live, it's nice to have active electronics. This lets you dial in a tone to better fit the room and find your role in the mix from song-to-song or during solos, etc.

For recording, a passive bass is fine/preferred. This gives the engineer a clean slate from which to build the ideal bass tone.

Active basses also generally have a hotter output and their tones are more suited to funk, gospel, or heavier styles like metal, etc. Passive basses are more suited to blues, jazz, Motown, R&B, etc. Of course, you can use either for either, but if you're set on a P-bass (nothing wrong with that), I'd say you'll be happier with the active one. Plus, you have the added versatility of the bridge humbucker.

Also, you're generally going to get a better deal if you buy used, although I imagine you probably have a pretty good discount from your store, too.

Your call. I used to have the 5-string version of the Deluxe you posted; they are great basses, but it's hard to go wrong with a good ol' passive Fender P, too. Let us know what you decide!

Welcome to Talkbass.

6. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ya the thing is, the guy wants to do an even trade for my 62 ri strat for his deluxe. i think its a fare deal. probably going to go with that. I suppose I could always upgrade to active later on if i really wanted to

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    That's 3 questions!

1) Only you can decide if the Deluxe is worth more to you than a regular P bass. Do you like the sound of that bridge humbucker by itself? Do you like the sound of that bridge humbucker in combination with the traditional P pickup? If the answer to either of those questions is "yes", then it may indeed be worth more to you than a regualr P bass.

2) The major difference is that humbucker - it gives you another sound to work with separately and in combination with the P pickup. A humbucker in the bridge position will give you a sound somewhat similar to a StingRay, more high mids than the traditional P pickup sound. Another difference is the active EQ - it will allow you to tailor your sound more accurately compared to the single treble rolloff control of a standard P bass.

3) Definitely.

Usual disclaimer - IMHO.

8. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The Deluxe P bass has active EQ, the standard P bass has passive EQ.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    My first bass was a 6 string guitar strung with heavy flatwound strings and the high b and E strings removed.

Then I went and got a real bass.

10. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ok, see Im used to the guitar world where only the pickups are active or passive. seems like the deluxe is the way to go. The only thing I dont like about that bass though is the color and I want a maple fretboard

11. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Yeah, in the bass world, active vs passive almost always refers to the preamp, not the pickups themselves. Many basses have 2- or 3-band preamps built in. If you end up with a passive bass like the other P you were looking at, you can always get an outboard preamp like this one:

http://www.bassnw.com/New Effects Units/sadowsky_preamp_di.htm

If you decide on the active one, American Deluxe Ps are common enough in maple. You might even be able to find one for sale or trade in the classifieds here on Talkbass.

12. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    thanks for your help guys

13. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    No problem :)

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    funny - that's how *I* started...

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Oh - and that's a nice looking bass - but if you're into the big metal thing, wouldn't you want something a bit less... Pretty? Something black?

just my 2 cents...

16. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    IMO the bridge humbucker is gonna be just what the doctor ordered for heavier music. you'll do fine either way.

17. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Both basses will work great for metal, maybe the deluxe active more so than the standard, but if i were you i'd look into getting a 5-string of some sort so that you can go lower without downtuning and getting your strings all floppy.

18. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    well man beggars cant be choosers, plus ill be doin some rock as well. that and the player create the style of music, not the bass color