Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About to glue on a fingerboard and have a question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    6 string LMI truss rod with 2 graphite bars. I guess I also glue in the Graphite bars with titebond as well?.........t

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    NOOOO! ! ! You need to get some good epoxy!!! I think LMII sells some decent stuff, get thick-ish stuff, and wait til it cures before you glue the fretboard on.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    could I use the system 3 mirrorcoat epoxy?

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think not- too thin. You need a fairly thick one to assure a good, stiff fit, yet be flexible when making adjustments.

Let me see what I can dig up...

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Here is what I used for mine- the slow setting black. You could go for the slow clear as well, but I liked the look of the black. I know, I know- you can't see it when the fingerboard is on, but I know it's there...

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I think Geoff used West Systems stuff. I bought it but didn't need it at the time, so I can't vouch for it. He did say that it worked out great and that it sanded well.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks guys for the input I have some of the black stew-mac epoxy. How many bottles did you have to use? I think I will try the mirror coat...t

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    went ahead and used the black epoxy...T

9. Of course you can use mirror coat! Also, if your channel fits the bar tight enough, you DON'T need to use epoxy, you could use titebond just as easily. The LMI bars have textured sides so that they'll work with whatever hard curing glue you use.

10. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    You can always add some colloidal silica adhesive filler to epoxy to thicken it up. West System has it. I have been using the 406 colloidal silica for years and I'm able to thicken epoxy to a "peanut butter" consistancy if needed.

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Just glued the fingerboard on. Man 6 strings are huge :eek:

12. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    You should try an 8 string. I still think Geoff is crazy.

And yes, he did use West Systems to glue in the carbon fiber rods, and it did work great.

-Nate

13. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    For now I am drawing the line at 6 strings. I have enough people wanting them....t