About to have a new (and probably insane) experience; wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I'm about to make my way down to one of the after hours clubs that our fair city has, and I'll be playing from 1-6am with a band that just had one rehearsal (last night)! The funny thing is, we totally nailed the practice, so I'm just looking forward to it. It's a fusion of Brazilian bossa and sambas with reggae, funk, jazz, and rock. Gonna be something! ...I'll be sure to report back once I've recovered a bit :D

Anybody else ever do something insane like this? If so, let's hear it!

2. I joined a band recently and we had only one practice before our first gig. They had all played many times before. But it was my first gig with them and to top it all off the drummer called in sick and a guy who was in the band moons ago stepped in. The girl who had the first set looked at the band's leader and me like we were nuts. But it all went well. Oh yea it was my first paid gig ever. And was 54.

3. SeaBassSteve

SeaBassSteve

Nov 14, 2008
    UK
    Just had a week of shows sight reading ( not done before on bass , and not done any reading in 15 odd years since I played clarinet ) with 1 rehearsal ... Great fun

4. Blisterfinger

Blisterfinger

Feb 13, 2011
    Ireland
    Sounds like a brilliant experience, wish i could contribute more extensively to this thread. Hope it went well for you.

5. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Haha, glad I'm not the only one who's had something like this happen. Good stories!

Mine was something of a doozy, that's for sure. Bottom line, the show went great; we totally killed all the sets, and really found an awesome musical chemistry. It was noticed at the rehearsal, and we totally amped it up for the show. We all played really beyond ourselves, and the crowd was nuts (it was packed from about 3:30-5)!! But, of course before the proceedings get started, I try to turn on my pretty old Ampeg ('67) and notice that no sound is coming out. Tried a bunch of different variants of cables/instruments before I realized that the rectifier tube had no lights on; blown (d'oh)! So yeah, had to run through the truly awful little monitors. Somehow it didn't sound like complete @$$, and most of the crowd would have been to drunk/whatever else to notice even if it did. Besides that my amp turned into a 100-pound paperweight for the night, it was awesome! I'm definitely down to do it again... except when I have work the next day... man did THAT suck! :help:

Moral of the story is spare tubes, then? Now to find a 5AR4 somewhere locally...

6. Dude, which place is this?

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    It's a little spot called Lorraine's. Near Ossington and Dundas, down a little side alley off of Argyle. Really hard to find!

8. The latest I've ever played was 2-4. But never an all night gig like that. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

9. Picktastic

Picktastic

Feb 29, 2012
    I just had a two hour gig live on the radio and we had only practiced twice as a band and most of the songs once- including some songs I had never heard before. This was just a three piece so it was pretty nerveracking. We ended up getting most of it right but I dont think it was a great idea

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Wow All Sass Lorraine's is still goin' eh , used to go there in the '90's

11. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    The status report is already in earlier! In short, it went super-well. Great time. The hours were pretty killer, but I'll be honest, the pure adrenaline kept me going. And I didn't even have to notice that my fingers hurt from needing to play too hard all night until the next day!

12. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Yeah! Apparently it's been on since the 70s, which is just madness. Don't know how she has the energy to do that every 2 weeks! It's amazing that her place keeps going when I hear about the other clubs getting raided/closed with some frequency. Wonder what her police payoff has to include...

13. The Mouse

The Mouse Guest

Jun 2, 2009
    Did a gig on St Patricks Day in Dublin back in the early 90's, playing traditional Irish tunes on mandolin with a band that had never met. We had no setlist and most of the band weren't playing their "main" instrument except the percussion player, who was "in his element". The gig was in a restaurant/ bar owned by U2 and the cream of Irish entertainment and broadcasting was there. Thankfully everyone in the building was pretty out of it and the gig went off without a hitch. Had dinner and a yap about music with Bono. He's a very nice chap by the way!

Some nights it's good to step out of your comfort zone and dance all over it. I can't remember ever having such a feeling of post-gig satisfaction since that night, and I've done some decent gigs in my time. I suppose being a young lad might have had a lot to do with it. One of my fonder musical memories..

14. I used to live literally within spitting distance of the Dupont subway station, so I'm quite familiar with that area. Never knew about that place as the dudes at Long and McQuade recommended places off the beaten path.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021