Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About to lose my mind... first 10 posts determine my pickup fate...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GsmithMusic, Jul 31, 2005.

1. GsmithMusic

GsmithMusic

Jul 31, 2005
    alright i've been looking at pickups and reviews now for 3+ hours and cannot decide for the life of me what to get. i am inexperienced so i will trust YOUR ears, and testing out every pickup personally is not possible.

These choices will be placed into a fender US highway Jazz Bass and modified with an Aguilar OTB-3 onboard preamp.... I want a victor wooten-ish sound... warm but with plenty of punch. If you have the Flecktones' "live art" check out the solo to "bigfoot" for the sound i want.

and the choices are:

1)leave stock pickups
    2)Fender custom shop 60's Jazz pickups
    3)EMG JV set
    4)Bartolini 9J#1
    5)Bartolini 9CBJD
    6)Duncan Antiquity II
    7)Dimarzio Ultra Jazz

Not to discount anyone's opinion but I would prefer it if you have had experience with a couple of these types of pickups...

I have heard good and bad things about all of em, and I would just get the EMG set Wooten has... but he has the bucker in the bridge... so I'm not sure.

thanks alot guys.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    have you discounted regular EMG J's? EMG JV's are their supposedly 'vintage' sounding J, EMG J's are the regular ones.

If you look in the pickups faq, you'll see a link to a thread of mine with soundclips of many of the pickups you mention.

3. GsmithMusic

GsmithMusic

Jul 31, 2005
    could you give me a link for that? i can't seem to find it... im new here.

4. GsmithMusic

GsmithMusic

Jul 31, 2005
    and would a aguilar preamp work well with emg's? or is it not necessary?

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'm not sure which bass vic si playing on the particular song you mentioned, but his main bass has an emg P/J setup. So the emg's may get you pointed in the right direction

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's not that difficult. Open up the pickups forum list, third thread down is the pickups faq.
    In there you'll find a link to it = it's called "basstasters" for jazz pickups

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no reason why not.

8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I'd suggest the Fender '60s custom shop.