Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

About to order a Yamaha RBX774 silver

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goat, Feb 24, 2003.

1. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    YAY!

I've been playing on this POS Encore P-bass style crap since I started last September, it's going to be great to play a decent bass.

I'm getting it for £375, which seems a pretty good price. I've heard it's meant to be good as well.

I'm a bit worried about the 35 inch scale. I don't have the biggest hands in the world you see!

Anyway, should order it tonight or tomorrow depending. I've already got a nice 15" 150 watt Trace Elliot combo to go with it. :D

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Be aware, in case you haven't seen one, that the black trim piece at the body end of the neck and the silver thing on the headstock are molded plastic. Some people don't like that. You may not care.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    have you played one yet? I have an issue with the noise of the yamaha electronics. I don't know what is available where you are, but for that price there is bound to be a pretty good bass for the money.
    :bassist:

4. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    No, I haven't playedone but I've played some of the cheaper ones in the RBX series and like 'em. I've also read due to being the under-rated brand Yamaha, you also get quite a bit more for your money then you would with say a MIM Jazz which would cost the same.

I love Chili Peppers style music most of all but I also play laods of weird and varied stuff so this should be good.

I didn't know about the plastic peices, but I'm still set on getting it. I can't really see anything else at £375 or under which can match it. £375 is also a god price, I've seen them a lot more expensive elsewhere.

Also locally we have crap-all in a selection of basses.

Anyone got any other feed back?

Also worth pointing out I want quite a light bass, as the one I've got now is damn painful on the old shoulder after a practice or whatever.

5. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    OMG i've just realised on the pics on this site: ( here ) that it doesn't have fret markers!

I can't believe I've noticed this.

Do all of them have no frets, or is it jsut in that pic, can anyone comment?

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It does have fretmarks on the side of the neck, the marks on the fretboard don't matter that much anyways.

I think you would do well trying the bass out at first, we played the five-string version at TB London meeting and the sound was bit odd.. Cold or sterile, I would describle it.

It was solidly build and had similar feel to other RBX-series basses though. Also I think the design could be more suited for 4-string bass.

7. i've played the 5-string, the RBX775. killer bass

8. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    I personally like the 76x series better than the 77x series. More tone shaping, in my opinion.

9. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I tested one extensively because I really wanted to like it and I'm always testing other 35inch scale basses against my IbanezBTB510. I was actually waiting for the Yammy to come out for months because I really liked the look of it and was sure that it would compete with my BTB. No such luck. It's much harder to play than the BTB, especially in the low-zone down by the nut. The BTB is still the easiest 35incher I've played, by far.

10. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Update: I tried various basses out yesterday including some of the lower end RBX and BB series, aswell as MIM Jazz and Rockbass, but the one that really stood out to me was the Yamaha BB604.

34" scale, thin neck, active EQ, great slap and funk tone, FRET MARKERS, and a pretty natural satin colour. I'm ordering it today on the 'net for around £275 incl. P&P. I don't really have the money for the RBX774 anyway at the moment, and bassackwards comment just put me of anyway :)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This sounds like "advertising-speak" to me and I wouldn't trust it!! :rolleyes:

There are lots of advantages to an MIM Jazz which are not immediately apparent and I would say they are the best value for money of any low-end bass I've tried over the years.

So - good re-sale value, good support, good spare parts - which mean you can upgrade with confidence etc etc .